Need expert opinions please...

Dave S.

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
Hi All.
I have an opportunity to adopt this desert tortoise from a nearby shelter and was wondering if you see any thing wrong with him in this pic. The adoption lady says he’s about the size of a dinner plate(?), Male, Fully grown and not a fan of dogs.
He’s newly acquired from the Humane Society and hasn’t been to a vet to her knowledge.
Attached pic to this email.
Any opinions, observations ASAP, would be greatly appreciated as my deadline to pick him up is this Saturday morning. Newbie here.
Thank you.
-Dave S.
DTPic.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks fine to me, but how close to the coast are you? They get sick and die with cold clammy coastal weather. They do better with hot and dry as adults living outside.

Dave S.

Luckily, I live pretty close to the beach(from a human perspective). An old neighbor had a DT and it seems to flourish ok here. They moved away a few years ago and I never saw if it had outdoor housing or not. I did tortoise sit for them and it was brought to my backyard for the week when I watched it. They did have a wooden box for it but no heat laps, etc. It was summer as I recall.
Am going to build an outdoor house for him for sure. Any recommendations on that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Luckily, I live pretty close to the beach(from a human perspective). An old neighbor had a DT and it seems to flourish ok here. They moved away a few years ago and I never saw if it had outdoor housing or not. I did tortoise sit for them and it was brought to my backyard for the week when I watched it. They did have a wooden box for it but no heat laps, etc. It was summer as I recall.
Am going to build an outdoor house for him for sure. Any recommendations on that?

I've tried all sorts of deck boxes, Dogloos, Dog houses, etc…, and none of them work very well.

So I build these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Or these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

I used to work at a pet store in Hermosa Beach and we had a constant stream of sick CDTs coming through the store. Beach weather is just not good for them. Its good for me though… We would rehab them be moving them to a back yard in Whittier where my buddy lived. Didn't even have to medicate them. Just get them hot and dry and they'd recover on their own as long as they weren't too far gone to begin with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A very young desert tortoise can get used to living at the coast, but you're taking a big chance trying to move a mature desert tortoise away from a desert-like climate. @ascott what do you think?

Dave S.

Those are impressive Houses Tom! You sell them?
Anyway so, I'm on the fence on adopting this guy. I'm really new to tortoise parenting and am worried about it being from a shelter. People have been warning me about "stones" and sicknesses from shelters and the adoption person has been pretty blunt on my questioning-not a lot of explanations of my concerns. Just one photo was supplied and not much else. She's lives quite far from me and I don't want to drive there and inherit a sick tortoise. I have no clue how to tell if he's sick or not. He looked a bit scaley and dry in the photo so that's why I asked the forum their opinion.
I was initially looking for a medium sized tortoise, 10-15 inch adult, and really like the DTs but they do seem like an extremely high maintenance tortoise. A few have suggested I get a Hermann's or Greek which are easier "starter" tortoises and more adept to beach-like climate. I was going to wait for the OC Fair Pet Expo in a few weeks to buy one there from a vendor I have been emailing back-and-forth with. He seemed like an extremely helpful and educated guy on the subject of tortoises - as well as all the kind folks on this website. Thanks to all of you for educating me in this venture.

aechols83

5 Year Member
Santa Cuz, California, USA
Hello All. Not to detract too much from the original poster's adoption question, but I too live in a coastal area of CA (Santa Cruz) and had the same question about the suitability of a Hermann's or Ibera Greek (for what will be my first tortoise!) I'm also interested in Redfoots/Cherry Heads & elongateds as I've read they can deal with cooler temps and the moisture in the air that we have on the coast. Dave, have you considered any of these in addition to the Hermann's/Greek? I'm planning on getting a baby which will be kept inside, but eventually I'd love to transition it and let whatever type I decide on live in an enclosure in my yard with a night box like those Tom referenced.

Best,
Adam

Dave S.

Hi Adam.
I am considering a Greek, Russian or Hermann's. I really wanted a tortoise more in the medium-size range. Adult max size at 18 inches, for safety reasons as I'd feel more confident in a tortoise that size roaming free in my backyard than I would with a smaller 8" adult which is what I was told the Hermann's and Greek max out at. Just a matter of personal preference really. A couple of vendors have strongly suggested Hermann's for my climate region in HB.
A desert Tortoise is still top on my list but am a bit concerned on the high maintenance factor with night box housing with heat lamps, pads, etc that are required in it.
Let me know what you do, as will I.
-Dave

aechols83

5 Year Member
Santa Cuz, California, USA
Hey Dave. Yeah, the Russians, Greeks & Hermann's are all on the smaller side with the Russian being smallest I think. As far as the Eastern Hermann's, I think females are usually a little bigger and max out at 9-10" I believe the Greeks are supposed to be a little larger than the Hermann's. All of my research has pointed to the Eastern Hermann's being potentially the hardiest which is important for me as it can get cool here in Santa Cruz. I took Russians off my list because it seemed they would not do well with the moist air and I would have the same respiratory worries with a DT. Being as you want a slightly larger tortoise, I think the Redfoots & Cherry Heads might be something to look into. As adults they're a little bigger than I decided I want, but they can apparently deal with the cooler temps and they like a bit more moisture/humidity. Still, I think at night it's recommended that they have a hide box like the ones Tom builds that keep it at least in the 60s, probably more like 70s.

Last edited: