Need an ID pls, taking in this tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He may grow a bit more, but probably not. As to putting him with your leopard, parasites or not, I NEVER mix species. Even my box turtles are separated by sub species.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
He may grow a bit more, but probably not. As to putting him with your leopard, parasites or not, I NEVER mix species. Even my box turtles are separated by sub species.
I would not put him with my Leopards ever, they are even separate from each other. I do plan to house them in the same room during colder months, but in separate enclosures. I was just wondering if I should have a vet check him for parasites just for his own health and well-being.

hettisurmail

If you got your tortoise from a pet store it's been hibernating for three or four years. So it might be a hard habit to break. Ours popped underground and hibernated within a few days of our first finding her. She was clearly going to do it again last year; we fridge hibernated her very successfully and were glad of it; her burrow flooded this year with all our rain.

If you are going to be keeping him inside, I'm sure someone can help you advise on the specifc lighting and heat to keep him awake. But fridge hibernating was pretty straightforward. She came out of it faster and with more energy than she did with her previous short hibernation in our mild and damp climate. (Sure, I was anxious as anything to do it but that's how I work!)
Where do you live?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
No i meant rosemary it sounds like the uk.
Nope!

In Southern California, near but not right next to, the ocean. So never too hot or too cold. We don't get much rain but it's fairly humid. Nothing like what Addy's body is built for, nor what she has learned growing up.

In the wild, Russians hibernate for five months, in very dry conditions. Our winters are nothing like that. While she did hibernate successfully by herself in our yard, it was a short hibernation in a poor location. This winter I took @Tom's recommendation and we hibernated her in a cheap, small fridge. We kept her cold and dry for four months, in a place we could be sure was safe. The setup was about $100 and we get to use it as a beverage cooler in the summer!

Addy lives outside year round--I'm not sure I've been clear about that? So she follows the cycles of the sun 100%. Come October, she is getting ready to GO.

hettisurmail

Nope!

In Southern California, near but not right next to, the ocean. So never too hot or too cold. We don't get much rain but it's fairly humid. Nothing like what Addy's body is built for, nor what she has learned growing up.

In the wild, Russians hibernate for five months, in very dry conditions. Our winters are nothing like that. While she did hibernate successfully by herself in our yard, it was a short hibernation in a poor location. This winter I took @Tom's recommendation and we hibernated her in a cheap, small fridge. We kept her cold and dry for four months, in a place we could be sure was safe. The setup was about $100 and we get to use it as a beverage cooler in the summer!

Addy lives outside year round--I'm not sure I've been clear about that? So she follows the cycles of the sun 100%. Come October, she is getting ready to GO.
I do the exact same for my tortoise but I live in Scotland. :)