Need advise, is this septicemia symptom or just normal for cherry head??

Tororot

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello,

I come across some article about septicemia infection in tortoise. My friend has a cherry head with unusual scute coloring with a lot of reddish color on them. It is unusual because the other cherries in his posession has scutes unlike this and we are worried. Is this a sign of septicemia or just a normal pattern in cherry head?
Take a look also with white-ish color on half of the head skin. Could be the cause of problem if this is really a septicemia.

Thank you so much!

FB_IMG_1482112797170.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Doesnt look like septicemia at all to me, the tortoises shell would be very pinkish and I don't see anything

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I gotta agree septicemia usually has a pinkish tinge almost cotton candy color

phebe121

This looks like the color of his shell .septicemia is pinkish color and would see it on the light parts of the tort

Tororot

Indonesia
So this is a normal pattern then. Thank you guys hahaha

@cdmay we are not experienced keeper, just getting started to pet these torts so forgive us (me especially) if my question is kind of "is this a joke?" lol. Maybe more to come as we learn something new everyday hahahaha

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
So this is a normal pattern then. Thank you guys hahaha

@cdmay we are not experienced keeper, just getting started to pet these torts so forgive us (me especially) if my question is kind of "is this a joke?" lol. Maybe more to come as we learn something new everyday hahahaha

Your worries are actually reasonable. I can easily imagine wondering about the coloration and pattern that was developing on my tortoise if I was unfamiliar with them.
I didn't mean poke fun but was rather trying to relieve your worry. Septicemia is quite serious so when I looked at the photos I was expecting the worse---only to see a nice looking little guy instead.

Tororot

Indonesia
Your worries are actually reasonable. I can easily imagine wondering about the coloration and pattern that was developing on my tortoise if I was unfamiliar with them.
I didn't mean poke fun but was rather trying to relieve your worry. Septicemia is quite serious so when I looked at the photos I was expecting the worse---only to see a nice looking little guy instead.

I wasn't feeling offended or mad or anything by your comment,so dont worry with anything you write to me :D

Btw this is the majority of the cherries owned by my friend looked like. Solid yellow-orange ish color on the scutes. Not so much red unlike the one on the 1st post. Thats why we asked :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1480863386140.jpg
    FB_IMG_1480863386140.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 19

candiman

How's the tortoise in the first pic coming along? My little guy has some red coming in towards the middle of the scutes also.

NoNo

Québec Canada
Hi...

Taking into account the answers of our experts ... keep an eye nevertheless

Peace...

candiman

thanks much NoNo. yea. I keep an eye out everyday when I do soaks. I just noticed it recently when giving him a bath. will update if anything else goes wrong. hes very active. wakes up every morning and walks to the basking bulb. normally give him a soak when he does. after his soak he'll usually go straight to the food bowl. he'll once in a while venture up to the second plat form where I leave fruits every couple days. make him work and exercise to get the fruits. hes very active every morning. I leave for work at 1230pm and get home around 1030pm so cant say what he does between then. hes been really good this month and a week ive had him. thanks again.