Need advice please!

waitmanff

5 Year Member
So my landlord all of a sudden has a problem with me having my two rabbits n my tortoise. He came in the other day and saw my tortoise table set up n said it must go. So he will be coming back sometime.in the next two weeks to inspect my house.

So I had to move milly to and aquarium for the next few weeks. I need help converting it into enclosed chamber. I already had my tortoise table turned into a closed chamber.

Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put either an acrylic top on it with holes cut for lights and heat or use a plastic lid from a tote box, cut the holes for lights heat and line those holes with tin foil. The tin foil will keep the heat from lights melting the lid. Also could use a piece of wood.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ahhhh... Who is your landlord to tell you what you can and can not have in the privacy of your own home. It is't a cat or dog they are in an enclosure. He shouldn't be telling you what you shouldn't be having in your OWN place sorry that is my option.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I know of pet policies for dogs and cats but caged animals usually don't count. Is this a house or apartment? Do you have a copy of the rental agreement you can look through? Find out specifically what you agreed to in the pet policy.

Turning an aquarium into a closed chamber is easy. Cover the top. Like this..

My screen lid is covered with clear wrapping paper and taped all along the edge with packaging tape. The holes are cut out for the light fixtures and a rim of aluminum foil keeps the light dome from the plastic. The foil extends 1"under the dome and 1"out from the dome. I taped the dome to the foil, too.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1383072632636.jpg
    1383072632636.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 1383072646150.jpg
    1383072646150.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 1383072664012.jpg
    1383072664012.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 120

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm guessing your landlord is afraid those lights could cause a fire. I went back in your posts to find pics of the table and your tortoise table is nice, so what would a landlord have a problem with? Only thing I can think of is the lights, foil and plastic wrap. Did your landlord say anything else that might indicate what his/her concern was other than "get rid of it".

If the lights are the issue, I think I would try building (or have someone build for me) a nice professional looking hood that houses the lights and CHE, providing a closed chamber that functions well and is of course safe. Easier said than done, but it could satisfy your landlord if indeed the lighting and potential fire hazard is their issue.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Put either an acrylic top on it with holes cut for lights and heat or use a plastic lid from a tote box, cut the holes for lights heat and line those holes with tin foil. The tin foil will keep the heat from lights melting the lid. Also could use a piece of wood.

Where would I find a acrylic top? I could prob find a plastic lid.

Thanks for the ideas. And as far as the pet policies go it says two animals and the landlord's letter said-"Every animals but the cat, dog, and fish must go." (We don't have a fish lol) or we will be evicting you in 14 days.

I don't think it had to do with the light, I don't think he even knew what it was.

I have another problem I need you help with. I have had him in the aquarium for 2 days now. With a light on one side around 90ish and the cooler side are 80 but low humidity and I went to give his bath tonight and he wasn't moving like he normally does. Doesn't seem as active, whats going on? Is she getting sick? I may just move her back into her table I would much rather be evicted than my baby get sick :(

sopo

5 Year Member
So Central OK
waitmanff said:
I don't think it had to do with the light, I don't think he even knew what it was.

Maybe that's the problem, he didn't know what it was. Some people are very scared of snakes and lizards and an aquarium with no water, most people would automatically think snake. Maybe you could contact him and explain it's a tortoise and ask why he won't allow it... worth a try and at least you'd know his reasoning then.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Depending on where you are, he may not be able to evict based on pets. We have laws here that protect the rights of the renter to have the pets they want whether or not they have an agreement with the landlord for no pets. I would look into the laws in your area.
The other thing may be, as was stated, the fear of fire, or if utilities are included, the concern that the heating/lights are too much. In which case I would try educating the landlord. Good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ILoveTortoises2 said:
Ahhhh... Who is your landlord to tell you what you can and can not have in the privacy of your own home. It is't a cat or dog they are in an enclosure. He shouldn't be telling you what you shouldn't be having in your OWN place sorry that is my option.

The landlord owns and pays for the property. He has all say. If you don't like the rules, you don't rent the apartment. Can you tell I'm a landlord? Believe me, it's not a nice thing too be all the time. Most renters don't give a crap about the property they are renting. After all, when they do leave, it's the owners problem to clean up and repair all the dirt and damage. Renters can be some of the worse pigs. I have been lucky in the renters I had, but I live in the same building, so,that can't get away with the stuff they would if I wasn't in the same building. I do allow dogs and cats. I would probably not allow a tortoise. Only because I know how irresponsible and uncaring renters can be with someone else's property. The lights and heating would be a concern of mine. Now, if they wanted to house the tortoise, lights and heat in the manner I would require, then I wouldn't have a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In spite of Barb's displeasure, most states favor tenant's rights heavily. Ridiculously so, in some cases. This bears looking into. It should say something in the renter's agreement that you signed, and you'll have to call some "city" people to find out the specific laws in your area, regardless of what the renter agreement says.

What state are you in?

Regardless, of who has the power, or what is "technically" legal or illegal, questions like this always make me consider "right or wrong". If you are taking responsibility for your own animals, paying for or fixing any damage done, it is nobody's business what you do in the privacy of your own space. I DESPISE this trend in our society of everybody trying to control everybody else and dictate what "free" people can and cant do.

I would try reasoning with the owner first, but if they fail to be reasonable, and if you are able to address whatever their concern's are, I would go to battle over this. Everyone must choose what is right for themselves and their situation though. I'm sorry to hear that your landlord has taken this position with you, and I hope it works out "peacefully" for everyone.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Need advice please!

Tom said:
In spite of Barb's displeasure, most states favor tenant's rights heavily. Ridiculously so, in some cases. This bears looking into. It should say something in the renter's agreement that you signed, and you'll have to call some "city" people to find out the specific laws in your area, regardless of what the renter agreement says.

What state are you in?

Regardless, of who has the power, or what is "technically" legal or illegal, questions like this always make me consider "right or wrong". If you are taking responsibility for your own animals, paying for or fixing any damage done, it is nobody's business what you do in the privacy of your own space. I DESPISE this trend in our society of everybody trying to control everybody else and dictate what "free" people can and cant do.

I would try reasoning with the owner first, but if they fail to be reasonable, and if you are able to address whatever their concern's are, I would go to battle over this. Everyone must choose what is right for themselves and their situation though. I'm sorry to hear that your landlord has taken this position with you, and I hope it works out "peacefully" for everyone.

Agreed Tom, one thing ive noticed about our "free" country is, we truly are not free at all. We have more laws on our books than countries thousands of years older than us.... And to the OP, a quick google search will give you the laws in your state. Although, I always say, before ya gear up for a fight, you might be surprised to see how much a straight forward conversation may wind up in your favor. Plead your case to the landlord verbally first and see what happens.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
The landlord is a management company and he said when I tried to explain that it didn't matter what it was, only two animals.

I am located in south Carolina.

However, I may have found a new place to rent who would be okay with all my animals. We just went and looked at it.

We pay the power bill and well I don't think it would caused a fire.

For now my rabbits and one dog is at my mother's :(

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Exotic anamals can get your home owners insurence canceled and any pet other then dogs or cats are considered exotics
About a yr ago Reptile mag did a artical
About it

waitmanff

5 Year Member
We have found a nicer and bigger place to rent! We move in December 1st. They are fine with all the pets!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So it wasn't about the tortoise...it was that you are only allowed two animals in the unit.

Glad it all worked out.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
So it wasn't about the tortoise...it was that you are only allowed two animals in the unit.

Glad it all worked out.

Yes and no. Only two animals, but the only animals allowed are cats and dogs (that I wasn't aware of, or made clear. ) So even if I wanted to keep just two of my animals in the house the tortoise wasn't going to be allowed.

Oh well, we are moving at the end of this month, we wanted something bigger anyway so everything worked out, thanks for the advice, I have my tort all set up in her tortoise table hot and humid way again!