Need advice for my russian tortoise

mandaab212

What is the best substrate to use for a russian tortoise? I have been using the bags of eco earth from pet smart, is that okay or should I try something else??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is okay. I like plain dirt and leaf litter but the coir works too. The only problem with coir and Russians in my opionion is the like to burrow and the coir doesn't really pack well for that. Not to say they won't go under it and hide though

awesomecs

5 Year Member
That is okay. I like plain dirt and leaf litter but the coir works too. The only problem with coir and Russians in my opionion is the like to burrow and the coir doesn't really pack well for that. Not to say they won't go under it and hide though

hmm I have regular top soil should I add crunched sterilized leaves or keep it the same

oh and its near winter and my tortoise is eating so little only like one bite =[ I have a 150 watt heat lamp but I'm afraid she will get tooo hot an bury for a long time as reptiles do

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't hibernate my Russian. I keep temps the same as summer and lights on the same amount of time as summer too. My does eat less during the winter though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
you could add some dirt if you want. Just make sure it has no insecticide, or fertilizers in it.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
ok but should I get some clean leaves and crunch it up in the:tort: soil