Need a safe product to seal a drain

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
I hit a snag on my enclosure build tonight (full thread here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/it-has-begun-outdoor-enclosure-build.153194/#post-1482894)

I am using a plastic concrete mixing tub as a pool. I drilled a hole to fit a drain and used aquarium sealant on it to seal. I waited the 24 hour cure time and when I went to pop the drain onto the pvc pipe I have buried in the ground (push on not threaded) the whole unit popped up and the entire seal came up.

Now I'm looking for alternatives. What can I use to seal the drain to the plastic tub that can withstand holding water and be inert for tortoise when it's cured. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9741.JPG
    IMG_9741.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 13

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't know what size drain you have in the ground but a bathroom sink drain is either 11/4 0r 11/2 inch in diameter and they are threaded so you can tighten it to the sink but not threaded at the other end.You may have to add some plastic washers to get a good seal because the mixing tub is thinner than a sink. Hope this makes sense and helps.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
It's a tub twist n lok tub drain 1 1/2" threaded going into a pvc coupler that's threaded on one end and smooth on the other that would go onto the 1 1/2" pipe in the ground

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Most tubs you are talking about are made of polypropylene. Nothing sticks to that. You need to use a bulkhead fitting. That is what is used for that application. It is a threaded fitting with rubber gasket that seals when tightened Look up bulkhead fitting online and you will see what they are. You can buy sizes to accommodate 3/4" to 1-1/2" pipe at places like Orchard Supply

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
This is a sink drain for bar sink. The metal part has a big screw on the bottom with a rubber washer to seal it. You just tighten it up, the you add your 1-1/2" pvc tail pipe to it and presto
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1494907600.990031.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://www.google.com/search?q=bul...e&ie=UTF-8#q=bulkhead+fitting+2+inch&tbm=shop

Some giant aquarium stores, or pool supply stores have a range to choose from. Otherwise they are mail order.

My all time favorite "dumb Home Depot" sales associated question -> answer was pointing to a bulkhead fitting in my hand and saying " they don't make those". That was way back when there was a 50/50 chance that Home Depot might have them.

BTW the rubber sealing ring goes inside, not outside the tank.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Thanks all. I found the bulkhead fitting at tractor supply company but hit another snag. My drain was fine threaded with a course threaded adapter. The bulkhead fittings were course threaded but the adapter didn't screw tight enough since the tub is much thinner than an actual sink or tub would be. I hit a total of 5 stores and even talked to a plumber at a supply store I was at. Nothing could help me. I kept looking and found a spud washer that would fit between the fine threaded part and the adapter and allow it to screw tight to the bottom of the tub. Success! This project ended up way more complicated than I expected

Attachments

• IMG_9762.JPG
    IMG_9762.JPG
    600.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9763.JPG
    IMG_9763.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9