Need a new enclosure

Hi,
I have a 7 month old red foot tortoise. I need a new enclosure for her, because her big kiddie pool isn't keeping heat, and humidity no matter what I try! Any ideas on something that will keep heat and humidity. I was thinking a Rubbermaid tub, but don't know how big of one is suitable for her?
Thanks for any ideas

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi,
I have a 7 month old red foot tortoise. I need a new enclosure for her, because her big kiddie pool isn't keeping heat, and humidity no matter what I try! Any ideas on something that will keep heat and humidity. I was thinking a Rubbermaid tub, but don't know how big of one is suitable for her?
Thanks for any ideas
You need a closed system to maintain ambient temps and high humidity. Vivarium is one way to do it, you could convert a bookshelf or cupboard, you could use a big plastic tote. Show us a picture of what you have now so we can help, you maybe able to cover what you have somehow.

I ended up getting a black Rubbermaid 40 gallon tub. More than half of it is now covered over with plexi glass ( had to leave room for lighting) I just put it over and put the lights in so I don't have a end humidity so far it's up to 60% and still going up. I have a nice temp of 80 all around. Btw does anyone know the best way to insert a pic off and iPhone?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I ended up getting a black Rubbermaid 40 gallon tub. More than half of it is now covered over with plexi glass ( had to leave room for lighting) I just put it over and put the lights in so I don't have a end humidity so far it's up to 60% and still going up. I have a nice temp of 80 all around. Btw does anyone know the best way to insert a pic off and iPhone?
When you write a post, select 'upload a file' this should allow you to upload any photos from your phone.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Some forums you have to mess about with URLs and other photo software like photobucket. On here you don't.

image.jpg here it's is ive maintains 65% humiditys in there still would want it higher. The other light is a heat emitter and a basking light on the other side

Janelle Green

Colorado
I use a 60 gallon glass Viv for my baby girl because it helps with humidity and my humidity stays from 83-85 I have a humidifier we made into a misting system so her substrate is nice and dry . Watch out for too wet of substrate it can cause shell rot! She's little big for enclosure I have now so my husband and I are converting a huge old bookshelf we have into one . We got Plexi glass cut to fit half on top of Foxys viviarium and it helps so much with the humidity. You want it from 70-90% . Do you have a fogger or mister set up?

Janelle Green

Colorado
Love your enclosure by the way looks nice and is big enough for now but they grow fast at first so you'll have to switch up soon. We're just going to make one big enough for an adult RF so we don't have to keep switching and building bigger enclosures and hey hate change

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
Humidity s always higher at tortoise level. I have six torts and I don't keep them in closed chambers and I don't plan to. They are healthy and they carapece has been growing pretty smooth so far, but you need to have a mechanical mister or a regular spray bottle. I sometimes move the top layer of cypress mulch and check the substrate underneath and it's always pretty moist and when the cypress mulch looks dry I just mist it down. Almost everyone here says the closed chambers is the only way to go and I beg to differ from experience.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you have the space...build a 4x8 box..