Need a little help with leopard baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
You may want to consider keeping him inside with a clean substrate or newspaper until his eyes heal. Do you have an inside setup? Even a large Tupperware container with lighting and a hide, etc. this little one needs some time to adjust and outside temps may not be helping. Has it been raining a lot? Humid?

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
SailingMystic said:
You may want to consider keeping him inside with a clean substrate or newspaper until his eyes heal. Do you have an inside setup? Even a large Tupperware container with lighting and a hide, etc. this little one needs some time to adjust and outside temps may not be helping. Has it been raining a lot? Humid?

He is mostly inside. Just been taking him out when warm and sunny. Not much rain or humidity here in SoCal

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Humidity is not bad for a baby tortoise. Good warm weather isn't either. Sick babies need to be kept warm and hydrated and a little less on the humidity only until he is better.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
MikeCow1 said:
Yikes, over $200 for the vet. Had some bacterial infection and despite the soaks was dehydrated. So an antibiotic injection and some saline injections and some antibiotic drops for the eyes. The eyes were rather sealed shut from tiny secretions I couldn't see so the Dr got them open again and we'll see what happens

Hi Mike. Just curious, did the vet have any idea how your hatchling got a bacterial infection?

M

Maggie Cummings

I am not sure how to post this without sounding smug...but all that soaking does no good past the first one. Soaking once a day in babyfood water is good enough. If they are gonna drink it would be in the first 10 minutes of the soak. With more you are just forcing the poop out before all the nutrition is utilized from the feces. The reason I am pointing this out is because even tho you are soaking the hell outa him he was still dehydrated. You are mostly just wasting time and water.
I would guesstimate he came to that conclusion from a blood test.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Well, the vet disagrees. Wants me to soak him three times a day, for the time being. He says no more baby food soaks though. Besides there's no poop to poop, he hasn't eaten in over a week.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Whew, started eating a little after his afternoon soak

DesertGrandma said:
MikeCow1 said:
Yikes, over $200 for the vet. Had some bacterial infection and despite the soaks was dehydrated. So an antibiotic injection and some saline injections and some antibiotic drops for the eyes. The eyes were rather sealed shut from tiny secretions I couldn't see so the Dr got them open again and we'll see what happens

Hi Mike. Just curious, did the vet have any idea how your hatchling got a bacterial infection?

He didn't say. But my other hatchling, different mother, hasn't had a problem

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm so glad he is improving. Great call taking him to the vet.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad to hear that there is some improvement.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad you took your baby to the vet. Sounds like things are on track. Good news!!

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Wow, he was eating so well and running around, bright eyed and everything. I went to give him his morning soak and found him dead. Such a shame. I had noticed that his plastron was still soft and seemed very thin so I guess there was something else wrong with him

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
MikeCow1 said:
Wow, he was eating so well and running around, bright eyed and everything. I went to give him his morning soak and found him dead. Such a shame. I had noticed that his plastron was still soft and seemed very thin so I guess there was something else wrong with him

sorry for your loss... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.