1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
  2. Hey Guest! Pre-order your 2015 Tortoise Calendar TODAY! Proceeds go to keeping TFO online and FREE for everyone! Thanks for your love and support!

Need a little help with leopard baby

Discussion in 'Leopard tortoises' started by MikeCow1, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

I got two little leopards a couple weeks ago and everything was going fine. I noticed that even though they were very active and eating well that the temp in their area was only 82 in the warmest part. So I put in a higher watt ceramic heat emitter which took it up to 94 or so. One of them since has taken to only basking, no eating, no wandering, just laying under it. I put him in front of food and he just walks back. Now I notice he's quit opening his eyes except for maybe a rare little slit, doesn't even open them when he walks. When I put him in for a warm soak he walks around almost the whole time with his eyes closed. This has only been going on for a couple days now but he's looking to me a little concave in his belly area now. Going to try and take it back to the 80s in his enclosure and see if that helps. The other one is still going great. Suggestions?
  2. Jacob

Jacob New Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Are you Using a spiral uvb coil tube?
    If so they are known to cause eye blindness and lots of problems even death!
    I Love to use a MVB Bulb, they usally give off heat plus uv rays
  3. Missy

Missy New Member

Your basking are needs to be in the upper 90*s to even 100*. How old are the Leos?
  4. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Also what height are the lights at?
    what are you using,?
    The most info you give us the easier
    and most correct answer we can give!
  5. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

They're a few weeks old. Don't use UVB as they get outside occasionally. I've raised several healthy ones with temps in the 80s never heard anything about 90s and 100s until I came here. Heat source is about 9 or 10 inches above them lights are just small LED strips. More concerned with the not opening eyes than anything. Double checked and not looking concave at all now
  6. lushcious

lushcious Active Member

When I first got my leopard tortoise, he was walking around with his eyes closed too. I think he might have been kept too dry. Soak and spray often. Mine doesn't do that anymore!
  7. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

He gets soaked every morning and sometimes in the evening and gets misted several times a day. He's in for his soak now and that still seems to be the only time he's active, constantly walking around in the soaking tray but still with eyes closed. I put food in front of him and he noses it around, with his eyes closed and then moves back under the heat source and goes back to sleep, without eating.
  8. tyrs4u

tyrs4u Member

I had that same reaction with my little Hermann 'Grind'... But she's all good. Took lots of patience and temp controlling. Tedious at times, when you get it right, you'll see the great results...
  9. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

A friend suggested a baby food soak. going to try that
  10. DesertGrandma

DesertGrandma New Member

Hi Mike. You might try more of a gradient so that they can move to the area that is the most comfortable for them. It sounds like maybe it is too warm for them overall. For mine, I use a long enclosure where I can keep the cool end at around 75-80, the warm spot 80-85 (center with a CHE),and a basking spot (hot spot) that is around 95-100 on the other end. They spend most of their time in the mid range but move in and out of the cooler end and the basking end to regulate themselves as they wish.
  11. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

There is a cooler area of about 80, but they never go to it. My friend suggested dehydration and it kind of looks like that to me too. Supposed to be mid-70s today so they'll be outside a lot today. Thermometer directly under the CHE showed 95-96. The other, smaller one, is still doing fine
  12. DesertGrandma

DesertGrandma New Member

The temp under your CHE would be better at about 85. The only area that should be 95 should be just the spot just under your basking light. Otherwise, maintain the remainder of the enclosure at around 75-85.
  13. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

Between the soaks and lowering the temperature he seems quite a bit better today. His eyes are open more often than yesterday, although he still walks around a lot with his eyes closed. But, he ate a couple mouthfuls of turnip greens so it's a start. Think I'll still give him a couple more soaks today though.
  14. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

And, back to eyes closed and not eating. Mostly just sleeps all day very little walking around where he used to do a lot. Got some eye drops with vitamin A and set up a bigger tank for him with a 95 degree basking spot. Still getting outside everyday for a few hours and a baby food soak once a day on top of two water soaks. No discharge or anything from the eyes, no noticeable swelling
  15. J3vans

J3vans New Member

Is he active when he is outside?
  16. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

Not very. He'll wander around a little, with his eyes closed
  17. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

Still not eating, ate well on the 6th or 7th but is back to just sleeping all day. If I pick him up his eyes open a little and when he's in his soak he constantly walks with his eyes open just a slit or not at all. Been doing baby food baths once a day, two or three soaks a day, and eye drops with vitamin A once a day. Basking area about 100 but he spends his time over in the upper 80s area. Neither one of the little ones will go in their hide.
  18. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

I give up. He never opens his eyes or eats at all. Will move around a little when outside, but mostly sleeps. Taking him to the vet this afternoon
  19. MikeCow1

MikeCow1 Member

Yikes, over $200 for the vet. Had some bacterial infection and despite the soaks was dehydrated. So an antibiotic injection and some saline injections and some antibiotic drops for the eyes. The eyes were rather sealed shut from tiny secretions I couldn't see so the Dr got them open again and we'll see what happens
  20. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Staff Member

Please read the threads at the bottom of my post. The higher temps are to go along with a high humidity of 80%. The basking should be 95-100 and the over all temp 80-85 but this is with 80% humidity, day and night. I also don't think the LED lights are good for them, seem way to bright, however I am not sure. Just never heard anyone using them. How about changing the light to a plain 40 or 60 house bulb, rather then the LED. Also be sure they have water available 24/7 to self soak and to drink. Again, please read the threads at the bottom of this post.
    Good luck, hope all turns out well.