My very first tortoise - He's finally here! Meet Harold

ShawneeAlice

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm so happy and proud to introduce my beautiful new baby Harold. (Hopefully he's a boy.)

He is very small. Way smaller than I expected, but that's ok!! When I first got him, he had to stay in his shipping box for longer than he was supposed to based on a mailing mess up. But it was only like 2 hours longer he had to be in there, and when I took him out I gave him a good soak before putting him in his new home.

He is surprisingly bold. I figured he would be super shy and basically just hide forever. But he took a stroll around his home, and he would put his head in his shell when my hand got close to him, but if I just peeked into his enclosure or walked by it, he wasn't scared at all. He had a good time basking and he's eaten some clover which I think he likes a lot. He's just discovered his hide today which he likes.

I'm just so thrilled and excited to finally have a tortoise. He's so gorgeous and I love him so much. Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_4057.png
    IMG_4057.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109

ShawneeAlice

Florida
Aw. They're just so darned cute at that age.
Aren't they!? I know it's not generally recommended for a brand new keeper to go with a hatchling, but I only plan on ever having one tortoise, and so I want to have him for pretty much his whole life, and all of his life stages. Also I think they are simply precious as adults too :p

Souptugo

5 Year Member
So cute! Reminds me of when my little guy was that size. They are just so adorable.

ShawneeAlice

Florida
I bought some things today for his enclosure, I will take a pic of it for you guys when I finish it!

EmmaE

5 Year Member
NY
Hes so adorable! when was he hatched? my tortoise is about 4.5 months old ( hatched sept. 25th but i got her in the beginning of january) and although we have had our ups and downs, she is the cutest thing ever and I'm still so happy to see her all the time. by the end of the first week she stopped hiding whenever we came near and now she recognizes us! its amazing and i hope you post about your little tortoises life! (also i highly suggest making a tortoise instagram, mine is @hermannstortoise and its fun to be able to scroll down and see the tortoises progress)

hollymamma

5 Year Member
I remember when my guy was that small...so cute and fun to watch! Where did you get him? He looks very nice!! Congrats!

surfergirl

Congrats to your new adventure! Hermanns are awesone torts, great personalities in a small package. :)

Greta16

Western Maine
Your Harold looks about the same size as my 3mo old Hermie. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Awwwww.....wadda thweetie widdol tortie!!! Love him. All the best for his progress with you!