My two Russian boy's summer place

Wendy Douce

HI just thought i would share my newly finished out door tortoise enclosure. I planned it from ideas from this and other internet sites.
All i need now is the summer to start as its only 17degress Celsius out so a bit cold (Don't you just love the British summer ) 011.JPG 026.JPG Tortoise 001.JPG Tortoise 002.JPG Tortoise 003.JPG Tortoise 004.JPG Tortoise 005.JPG Tortoise 006.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, looks really nice. You did a great job. Here's wishing you nice weather soon so your torts and you can enjoy your work.
Btw, I used one of those cold frames/green houses when my leopard was little. I attached it part way out my third floor apartment window in the winter time when it was sunny out so he could get some more room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great enclosures.

17 degrees in summer? I'm not a fan of 17 degrees in WINTER!!!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Oh my goodness that is so pretty! Lots of love went into that, you can tell. They are gonna love it!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice! By making that 'S' shaped sight barrier in the middle of each pen you've doubled the tortoises' space. You've put a lot of hard work and thought into making a nice home for your tortoises.

Wendy Douce

Thank you all for your nice comments I have spent a lot of time planning the build and my husband spent along time converting my ideas to reality,with the wood work.I hope I've got it right. If they don't like it things can soon be changed and as for 17Deg C that's low 60 Fahrenheit and for England quite a nice day. Well suns out now might be pushing 20 deg C !

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Wonderful! Really like the design.

I would be concerned about night predators like raccoons.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

We don't have raccoons in the UK, but think that looks like a night box at the back to secure them from any night time nasties we do have.

It looks great.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Luckily Raccoons aren't a problem in the UK. Foxes are more of an issue for some, but it depends on where you live. In some areas Red Kites might be a problem too

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm in UK too, do you mind me asking where you got the cold frame and night boxes from please? Or did hubby make them? I'd like them for my tort.
Are you planning on having heat in the night boxes?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I do like the design. Slate chips are great. They warm up very quickly even on a cloudy day. Joe loves snoozing on the ones in our garden.

Wendy Douce

I'm in UK too, do you mind me asking where you got the cold frame and night boxes from please? Or did hubby make them? I'd like them for my tort.
Are you planning on having heat in the night boxes?
Hi I found some on eBay but the price and reviews were not to good so found these
http://www.greenfingers.com/category.asp?dept_id=200464
I got the medium size.
The huts were from eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Ra...520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c54c12990
As for heat i don't know if i should or not if i start with them out just in the day time and see how the go I did read some where if you heat the night hut they may not venture out at all. Staying where is warmest. what do other people do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all for your nice comments I have spent a lot of time planning the build and my husband spent along time converting my ideas to reality,with the wood work.I hope I've got it right. If they don't like it things can soon be changed and as for 17Deg C that's low 60 Fahrenheit and for England quite a nice day. Well suns out now might be pushing 20 deg C !

Its 37 in the shade at my place right now and it will drop all the way down to 20 as the overnight low. I have to provide underground hide boxes to escape the heat, instead of your cold frames to warm things up.

Fascinating to me all the differences we need to incorporate to suit our tortoises needs in the various climates.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi I found some on eBay but the price and reviews were not to good so found these
http://www.greenfingers.com/category.asp?dept_id=200464
I got the medium size.
The huts were from eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-Ra...520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c54c12990
As for heat i don't know if i should or not if i start with them out just in the day time and see how the go I did read some where if you heat the night hut they may not venture out at all. Staying where is warmest. what do other people do?
Joe is sleeping outdoors 24/7 without heat. I provide a basking lamp for morning warm up. It's cool out, but not cold where we are at the moment. If your tort is big enough to stay out 24/7 then I seriously wouldn't be that concerned at this time of year especially when you have draught proof, water proof overnight accommodation like that.

Wendy Douce

Joe is sleeping outdoors 24/7 without heat. I provide a basking lamp for morning warm up. It's cool out, but not cold where we are at the moment. If your tort is big enough to stay out 24/7 then I seriously wouldn't be that concerned at this time of year especially when you have draught proof, water proof overnight accommodation like that.
Hi what type of set up do you have for the basking light i did think if they stayed out all night i might need one. Both boys are about 8 years old They were my son's and i have now adopted then. So this is the first year that they are going out in to a permanent encloses . After their nice warm inside home of 22 deg C to 35 dec C, 17 seams a bit cold. do i need to acclimatize then by turning down their heat lamps or just put them out side and see how they go. Thanks

Wendy Douce

Its 37 in the shade at my place right now and it will drop all the way down to 20 as the overnight low. I have to provide underground hide boxes to escape the heat, instead of your cold frames to warm things up.

Fascinating to me all the differences we need to incorporate to suit our tortoises needs in the various climates.
As the Dark gray rain clouds moves away and the sun comes out for the first time today,(about 8 'o'clock) This comment made my Day. We all have are problems but you don't get cold and wet solving your!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a dog kennel with a basking lamp on a timer in it for Joe. There's a slate slab under the lamp that warms up for him to sprawl on. Joe won't voluntarily go under his lamp... but if he's cooler I stick him under it and if he is in the mood he will stay there.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434908563.321935.jpg

Wendy Douce

My boys had their first day out doors today. One didn't stop exploring,already some modifications had to be made because if found a gape to go down and get stuck. The other didn't make in out the cold frame, but he did come out of the sleeping box. At bed time both of them went back into their wooden houses and have dug out the corners to settle down but I've borough them inside because the weather look horrid for then next couple of days. JoesMun your heat box looks good might have to see what i can sort out for them.