My turtle is sick

Yahaira rojas

he's eyes are close only open when I soak him (sometimes) doesn't eat and isn't walking I'm taking him to the vet Tuesday cause they don't have there reptile vet in till then but I want to know what I could do in the mean time his shell isn't changing color or has stuff coming out of his nose so I don't know what to do or what it could possibly be I just removed his bedding cause I think he was eating it but other then that idk what could I do I've soaked him in baby food took him out for a while but idk what else to do he's just been acting like this for about 3 days today would be his 4th please help I'm desperate he just lays in the basking area and doesn't more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
he's eyes are close only open when I soak him (sometimes) doesn't eat and isn't walking I'm taking him to the vet Tuesday cause they don't have there reptile vet in till then but I want to know what I could do in the mean time his shell isn't changing color or has stuff coming out of his nose so I don't know what to do or what it could possibly be I just removed his bedding cause I think he was eating it but other then that idk what could I do I've soaked him in baby food took him out for a while but idk what else to do he's just been acting like this for about 3 days today would be his 4th please help I'm desperate he just lays in the basking area and doesn't more
Take it to the REPTILE Vet ASAP!

Yahaira rojas

Take it to the REPTILE Vet ASAP!
I kept soaked him in baby food twice today and gave him liquid vitamins and after a while he opens his eyes and Walked to his hide like normal but I'm going to keep doing this till I can take him Tuesday cause that wen then reptile vet comes in

gabby.santana

California
You should also try buying zoo med turtle eye drops.

I would also try feeding him some squash or some carrot mush maybe he's lacking vitamin A

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
For how long have you had him? That light doesn't provide UVB light, which he needs to grow and be healthy. Does he get any natural sunlight?

Those round temperature gauges are not really reliable... Better to use digital ones. But with these gauges, what are the temps in your enclosure?

What does his diet look like?

Where did you buy your tort? Do you know how it was raised (dry or humid)?

Yahaira rojas

For how long have you had him? That light doesn't provide UVB light, which he needs to grow and be healthy. Does he get any natural sunlight?

Those round temperature gauges are not really reliable... Better to use digital ones. But with these gauges, what are the temps in your enclosure?

What does his diet look like?

Where did you buy your tort? Do you know how it was raised (dry or humid)?
Had him for two months got him January 22
Right now since he's sick I have the warm side 100-110 and the cool side about 70-80 and I will switch the gauges and I've been feeding him kale mustard greens and romain lettuce and also that tortoise feed from zoo med but he won't eat it he would only eat it if it's green and I asked were I got him and they said he was on greens , humidity I have moss in his hide for humidity and I would wet his enclosure every once in a while and I also believe he's missing his vitamins cause as soon as I have him some liquid vitamins he got up and walked to his hid and also I have calcium powder but he won't eat it if he sees it has some on his food so I also will but it in liquid for and I would take him out rarely cause it's cold out side but now Sumer here I will be taking him out more often also which other bulb would you recommend for that

Yahaira rojas

Soaked him in baby food and water two days yesterday and once today and he pooped is that a good sign (wasn't diarrhea) ?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've gotten some bad advice previously on how to house your baby. Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Lettuce and kale are okay as small part of a varied diet, but they should not be regular items. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole, but include all sorts of things like collard and mustard greens, cilantro, carrot tops, etc. Look for "nopales" at a Mexican grocery store near you, and look for "Organic Wheat Grass" in those little plots from many grocery stores or pet stores. Here is what you ought to be feeding: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Few tortoises are going to eat the ZooMed food plain like that. Try mixing just half of a soaked pellet with the days greens and see how that goes. Gradually add more over time as he begins to eat it.

Your hot side is too hot and your cool side is too cool. A 100 degree basking spot is ideal, and no part of the enclosure should ever drop below 80. Spot bulbs are not good to use as they concentrate too much heat in one little area. What are you using for night heat? Correct temperatures and humidity will be very difficult to maintain with an open top.

You didn't say where you got this tortoise, but this may offer some explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If this tortoise was started too dry and is now suffering the effects of prior kidney damage, no vet can do anything to save him. Either he has enough functioning kidney to survive, or he doesn't. What I would do is set him up correctly in a warm, humid closed chamber with the correct temps and lighting, as outlined in the care sheet, and hope for the best. Some of them make it and some of them don't. No amount of time and money spent with the vet is going to change that in this sort of case.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least you know now. I wish you had found us first. This would not be happening with the right set up and a well started tortoise...

Yahaira rojas

You've gotten some bad advice previously on how to house your baby. Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Lettuce and kale are okay as small part of a varied diet, but they should not be regular items. If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole, but include all sorts of things like collard and mustard greens, cilantro, carrot tops, etc. Look for "nopales" at a Mexican grocery store near you, and look for "Organic Wheat Grass" in those little plots from many grocery stores or pet stores. Here is what you ought to be feeding: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Few tortoises are going to eat the ZooMed food plain like that. Try mixing just half of a soaked pellet with the days greens and see how that goes. Gradually add more over time as he begins to eat it.

Your hot side is too hot and your cool side is too cool. A 100 degree basking spot is ideal, and no part of the enclosure should ever drop below 80. Spot bulbs are not good to use as they concentrate too much heat in one little area. What are you using for night heat? Correct temperatures and humidity will be very difficult to maintain with an open top.

You didn't say where you got this tortoise, but this may offer some explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If this tortoise was started too dry and is now suffering the effects of prior kidney damage, no vet can do anything to save him. Either he has enough functioning kidney to survive, or he doesn't. What I would do is set him up correctly in a warm, humid closed chamber with the correct temps and lighting, as outlined in the care sheet, and hope for the best. Some of them make it and some of them don't. No amount of time and money spent with the vet is going to change that in this sort of case.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least you know now. I wish you had found us first. This would not be happening with the right set up and a well started tortoise...
If I put moss as his bedding and wet it it's still wouldn't keep it humid enough? I was told a open encloser is better *inserts sad face here*

Yahaira rojas

pooped and took a couple of bites from his food and I also have him outside and he's walking more and is not tilting

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I put moss as his bedding and wet it it's still wouldn't keep it humid enough? I was told a open encloser is better *inserts sad face here*

You need 80% humidity. Think New Orleans or Miami in summer. Hot and humid. That is really tough to accomplish in an open topped enclosure that lets the enclosure air freely mix with the cooler, drier room air.

Sorry man. There is all sorts of old, out-dated, incorrect info circulating around out there. We are doing our best to get the word out.

Yahaira rojas

You need 80% humidity. Think New Orleans or Miami in summer. Hot and humid. That is really tough to accomplish in an open topped enclosure that lets the enclosure air freely mix with the cooler, drier room air.

Sorry man. There is all sorts of old, out-dated, incorrect info circulating around out there. We are doing our best to get the word out.
I took him to the vet he told me nothing was wrong with his eyes he just has them closed then he said to try force feeding him he weights 1.65 ounces and I forgot to weight him when I got him *sad face* but I find it weird how when I have him outside he will walk and let's say he get tired hell stop and then a while later walk again and he'll also like try taking bites of grass but if he didn't get any he'll get discourage and stop trying to eat it he also opens his eyes when he's out side but mostly only one eye (sometimes hell open both he's also been pooping so I'm not sure if he's eating and I'm not noticing or its cause I've been soaking him in baby food he walks perfectly fine outside but he does stop once in awhile and lays there then gets up again just inside he isn't active much , the vet said Sulcata shouldn't hibernate cause they can die and I was wondering maybe he's try to hibernate? I'm still not sure what's going on the vet said he looks fine but I don't see how he can be fine if he's not that active (inside) and have his eyes close and won't eat (sometimes,rarely eats like 2 bites if he can get it in him mouth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I took him to the vet he told me nothing was wrong with his eyes he just has them closed then he said to try force feeding him he weights 1.65 ounces and I forgot to weight him when I got him *sad face* but I find it weird how when I have him outside he will walk and let's say he get tired hell stop and then a while later walk again and he'll also like try taking bites of grass but if he didn't get any he'll get discourage and stop trying to eat it he also opens his eyes when he's out side but mostly only one eye (sometimes hell open both he's also been pooping so I'm not sure if he's eating and I'm not noticing or its cause I've been soaking him in baby food he walks perfectly fine outside but he does stop once in awhile and lays there then gets up again just inside he isn't active much , the vet said Sulcata shouldn't hibernate cause they can die and I was wondering maybe he's try to hibernate? I'm still not sure what's going on the vet said he looks fine but I don't see how he can be fine if he's not that active (inside) and have his eyes close and won't eat (sometimes,rarely eats like 2 bites if he can get it in him mouth)

Re-read post #11, and read those links. Please.