my torts weight and burrowing behaviour?

tortlover5m

Location (City and/or State)
uk
hi,
so I thought would start weighing my red foot who is about 2 maybe 3. I weighed her today and she is 350 kg, is this a normal weight for a 2-3 yr old tort? also I know red foots aren't a species that usually burrow themselves or dig, but my red foot does. she's been doing this since I've had her, should I be worried?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise also likes to dig, but when I say dig I mean she makes angels in the dirt by flapping her legs. She still tries, and she manages to make little holes for herself to sit in. It's not that they can't, it's just that they're pretty bad at it in comparison to diggers like sulcatas.

From what I can see in your picture she looks healthy and well hydrated. I wouldn't worry about the average weight and just keep tabs on how she's growing from here on. I don't weigh my tortoise, but I probably should :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Does your tortoise have a box to hide in? Mine kind of "DIG" into the hay in their night boxes when they settle in. It makes them feel safe. If they sleep in the open sometimes they will make a shallow depression.
Does yours actually burrow?

tortlover5m

uk
Does your tortoise have a box to hide in? Mine kind of "DIG" into the hay in their night boxes when they settle in. It makes them feel safe. If they sleep in the open sometimes they will make a shallow depression.
Does yours actually burrow?
We'll If mean "DIG" as she sits in the substrate and kicks her back legs to make a shallow pit and she then kicks all the substrate on top of her so you can't see her then I guess she "DIGS".so no she doesn't burrow. I also don't have a box for her to hide in, but I do have a log she sits under, is that the same thing?

tortlover5m

uk
Tortlover, i don't think your tort is 350 kg, is it? Must be a decimal point missing.
. I don't have proper reptile scales so I brought some kitchen scales and that's the measurement that showed. can I use kitchen scales to measure her?

tortlover5m

uk
My tortoise also likes to dig, but when I say dig I mean she makes angels in the dirt by flapping her legs. She still tries, and she manages to make little holes for herself to sit in. It's not that they can't, it's just that they're pretty bad at it in comparison to diggers like sulcatas.

From what I can see in your picture she looks healthy and well hydrated. I wouldn't worry about the average weight and just keep tabs on how she's growing from here on. I don't weigh my tortoise, but I probably should :(
Thanks for the reply, that kind of sounds like what my red foot dose, so that reassures me : )

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
. I don't have proper reptile scales so I brought some kitchen scales and that's the measurement that showed. can I use kitchen scales to measure her?

350 kg is like the weight of small horse... I guess you mean 350 grams? My 1.5 year old redfoot is around 200 grams, for comparison. And my redfoot also likes to hide himself, makes a hole under his ramp. They do like to have some shade and cover, maybe you can provide him more hiding spots?

tortlover5m

uk
350 kg is like the weight of small horse... I guess you mean 350 grams? My 1.5 year old redfoot is around 200 grams, for comparison. And my redfoot also likes to hide himself, makes a hole under his ramp. They do like to have some shade and cover, maybe you can provide him more hiding spots?

yeah, 350 grams sounds more like it... :oops: :D
I provide her with lots of hanging vines and leaves which she digs under, but I could probably do with more. thanks :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I provide her with lots of hanging vines and leaves which she digs under, but I could probably do with more. thanks :)
Hi tortlover5m

Have you measured how long your tortoises carapace(shell) is. The size is more relevant to her weight than her age is. Some tortoises grow at different paces to others.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If you measure her in cm then a rough weight guide can be calculated. Is yours about 12cm long.

Randi

Canada
What is your humidity like inside the enclosure? How about temperatures? Could the tort be digging down in order to find moisture or to possibly escape too much warmth?

tortlover5m

uk
What is your humidity like inside the enclosure? How about temperatures? Could the tort be digging down in order to find moisture or to possibly escape too much warmth?

just after I spray the cage the humidity is 80% but 20 minutes later its down to 20%. I'm finding it really hard to keep humidity levels up, soon I will be getting a humidifier. have you got any other suggestion to keep humidity up? the temperature is usually just under 30c.

obi_obi

I have a horsefield tortoise and he has hide holes but at night he burrows in the corner of his bed area is this normal? I've heard they dig to regulate their temp. I've had him for around 2 months now.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I bathe her about 3 times a week, I always make sure she's hydrated.
Hi. Can you show us a photo of your enclosure so we can help you. You really need to be at about 90% humidity. Are you checking it at tortoise level and what are you measuring it with.

wolfkat

Just wondering how many inches your tort is? My redfoot is almost 2 and 4 inches and I think she's on the small side but I don't know for sure and just wanna see where other torts are at