My tort's not moving

yousseftaha

I am sure that my tort is not dead she moves her legs and hands when I hold her but for days now she's been really lazy she ony eats but doesn't move at all and when I get her out of the box she moves to a corner and sleeps until I get her back into her box.She's only been eating and sleeping for over a week now

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Has she been pooping? Give her a really long warm soak in a big tub so she has a lot of room to move around.
A detailed description of the enclosure, temps and humidity will help us figure out what might be wrong. Also what is the diet?

yousseftaha

She hasn't been pooping regularly, She poops like once every 2 days and sometimes 3. I keep her in a dry plastic box in my room Where its about 75°f and every morning I put her in my balcony for some sun and warmth. I feed her lettuce every morning before I move her to the balcony

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds like you need to make some changes in your husbandry practices. A dry box, lettuce, and a little bit of sun on the balcony is not the way for a tortoise to live if you want a healthy tortoise.

Please search online for an egyptian tortoise care sheet and make changes accordingly.

daniellenc

Maryland
I'm new to tortoises but not to reptiles. Your baby sounds dehydrated and malnourished. Lettuce is variable ranging for nutritionally dense to pretty much water and no nutrients. What kind of lettuce, and what other foods are you feeding? There are great resources on here and most greens can be found at your local markets.

Your baby should also be soaked daily in very shallow warm not hot water, and needs a heated side with UVB bulbs as well as a cool side. The heated side should not exceed recommended high temperatures for your species so make sure to research that, and the cool side should be in the 70's. You need to provide hides on both sides so they feel secure, and a shallow water bowl source like a baby food top....works with lizard babies, lol. Please soak immediately and monitor them while soaking to prevent drowning. Also, read up on what your species needs they all vary, but it appears you may have bought before thought. It's always best to research a variety of sources, set up the home, monitor temps without the animal, purchase a variety of foods, ensure you have decent temp gauges and an infrared gun for spot temp checks, and then bring your friend home. To be honest most animals this lethargic don't fair well unfortunately. I hope the best though!

yousseftaha

I only feed her lettuce and I soaked her now in some warm water until she pooped what else should I feed her

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you read the articles in the links I gave you above, you will find a whole list of foods they should be eating.

daniellenc

Maryland
The Egyptian tortoise eats a wide variety of vegetation ranging from grasses to broadleaf plants and their blooms. Two plants found in its native habit that also grow in North America are saltwort and sea lavender. This species also occasionally eats insect and carrion in the wild, although captive specimens are best offered a strictly herbivorous diet.

As a desert species, it is easy to provide the captive Egyptian tortoise with a diet that is excessively rich. Erwin 2004 recommends feeding adult and sub-adult tortoises a ration of mixed greens and weeds with grass hay four times weekly. On alternate days, tortoises are provided with high fiber treats such as mallow or hibiscus leaves or flowers, sea lavender leaves, or they are allowed to graze for several hours on a chemical-free Bermuda grass lawn.

Copied and pasted from: https://lafeber.com/vet/basic-information-sheet-egyptian-tortoise/
Mixed salad greens and weeds like endive, romaine, chicory, dandelion, purslane, plantain leaves, clover...........

I'm not sure where you live but google is your friend. Research healthy foods for the species first and then research your area for availability. Also, keep soaking for 20-30 minutes a day, and get a good mercury uvb bulb and temp gauges to measure heat. Infrared gun will help as well as temp gauges can be wonky if the probe is not placed correctly.

yousseftaha

Well I live in egypt and I have no idea where tl get all these things they are not available here so is there anybody here who can help me about that or tell me substitutes to those things please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well I live in egypt and I have no idea where tl get all these things they are not available here so is there anybody here who can help me about that or tell me substitutes to those things please

I think you can find those foods if you really look for them. You THINK you can't find them because its not something you have ever purchased in the past. The first two listed in Danielle's post are actually native plants to Egypt. You should be able to find them.

Any dark, leafy greens that are sold at the market will be ok to feed, just not lettuce.

yousseftaha

sorry I wasn't specific I didn't mean the foods I was talking about the infrared gun and the uvb bulb and such

daniellenc

Maryland
I have reptile keeper friends in Egypt and all over the middle east and they get all their supplies shipped and local. Google reptile supplies, check local reptile stores like where you got this guy from these should be fairly easy to find as they are necessities for ANY reptile.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
sorry I wasn't specific I didn't mean the foods I was talking about the infrared gun and the uvb bulb and such

You'll probably have to buy those items online. Can you get Amazon in Egypt?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
If there are any home improvement supply stores in your area, you should be able to find an infrared gun there