My tortoisestore.com

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a baby Greek from my tortoisestore.com

I know, not the best idea, but I've worked very hard to make sure Zeus is happy and healthy regardless of his start.

After a rough week of him refusing to eat right after arrival, he has perked up considerably. He seems to be doing well-- eating and basking and exploring his palace, but I want to be sure he is ok. He's growing well, shell seems to be smooth and firm (I don't press it, don't worry).

What things should I be looking for to make sure he's ok? Should I take his stool to a vet for routine check?

I would feel much better if he were from a trusted breeder and have learned from my mistake, but I will also do everything I can to make sure he is healthy and happy!

Thanks again!
Shaif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just provide a correct environment/enclosure for him with the right temps, humidity and proper diet and as long as he is eating, moving and pooping and growing everything should go good. I got my first tort in 2011 and have a few more since then. Not one has gone to a vet. If you notice something wrong, that you or someone on the forum can't help you with, then take him to a vet. Pumpkin is a good natural dewormer. At this time of year, it's every place. For your little one, grind some up. Skin, guts and seeds.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you, Wellington. I will do that. I was putting pumpkin in his soak water for a while. He really likes it, so I'm excited to get some fresh ones for him tomorrow. Is twice a week a decent schedule? I can do more or less-- love feeding him new things once they have been approved.
You are absolutely right-- the people on this forum (yourself included) are so much more knowledgeable than any vets that I've spoken to.

Truly appreciated!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Nice to hear, @Shaif : a Greek tort. (I've a Greek tort too - Oli :<3: ) .

Any pics of your baby tort? ;)

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thank you, Gillian! I do have pics. Will post when I figure out how. Spoiler alert: he's a cutie!

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Tortoises are pretty darn hardy critters, Shaif, or they wouldn't still be around after 250 million years or so. The only "trick" I've found is to try to match what their environments would be in the wild, including diet. No, we won't succeed, but our experience after rescuing tortoises for nearly 40 years, is that the closer we can get, the healthier & happier they are. Do weigh & measure Zeus at least once a month, & if you see a significant weight drop, then a vet visit may be warranted. But even the animals in the worst shape when we rescue them almost always spring back to health - it takes a lot to do real damage.

Ken