My tortoises have been mating but does that means she is going to lay eggs

tattygrace

Hello I have two 12 year old hermann tortoises and I have caught them mating about 6 times. I only got them in September but there previous owner said they layed last year. She is not showing any signs of laying but I don't no can anyone help and if she is going to lay then I need to get an incubator

tattygrace

Hello I have two 12 year old hermann tortoises and I have caught them mating about 6 times. I only got them in September but there previous owner said they layed last year. She is not showing any signs of laying but I don't no can anyone help and if she is going to lay then I need to get an incubator

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
You should probably expect eggs. She may not this year in a new environment, but she might. I would get an incubator set up.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I'd be prepared for sure and go ahead and get an incubator. Tortoises can skip cycles and seasons of laying eggs. Especially if being moved, shipped or in a new environment. But lots of times they will still lay and forgo all the changes. I'd ask the previous owners when they first saw eggs. Then you know the animals cycle and annually you can always be prepared around that time. Hermanns can lay numerous clutches too, so be prepared to receive more eggs every 4-6 weeks from initial laying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi...is it Grace?...: and welcome to the forum!

Not necessarily. It could have just been a domination act you were seeing. I don't keep Hermanni, so I can't give you any info about them, but usually tortoises that hibernate have a set time of year that they nest. Do the Hermanni hibernate? If so, she might lay now, in the Spring time so that the babies would hatch before winter. At any rate, if she does lay eggs, you have plenty of time to get an incubator.