My Tortoise Won't Eat

Zerny-Mcmerny

Hello!So, my dad got me a tortoise 3 days ago.She is healthy and so active and energized. The thing is she won't eat!Not a single thing. Please help me!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Welcome! :)
What species do you have, how old is she and how do you keep her? Maybe you can make a photo of the enclosure.
Do you know what she was fed before you got her?

Last edited:

Zerny-Mcmerny

Hi.Well,I know that she's a greek tortoise.I keep her on the balcony in a habitat with soil as a substrate, I don't have a UV light as the sunlight lights the habitat in day times.But I don't know what she was fed before I got her.(Note: I'm gonna send a photo of her and her habitat and send it later as it is night time now) ^_^

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some tortoises will not eat for a week or so after they have been moved to a new home . She is probably trying to find a safe place to hide and busy claiming the new space her own .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
All of the activity you are seeing is stress. Once you post pictures of your enclosure we can offer advice that should help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As Mike and Jodie said she could just be a bit stressed because of the changes and new habitat. Do you have somewhere for her to hide so she feels safe? Plants etc so she doesn't feel too exposed? And what about heat for cloudy days or at night? If you read the care sheets for Greeks that will tell you what sort of temps and food she needs. I hope she settles soon and welcome to the forum you have come to the right place for support and advice.

Zerny-Mcmerny

As you can see the sunlight gets into the habitat, I have soil as substrate, and I've tried feeding her lettuce,carrots,and tomatoes,but she just son't eat

1432472004984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What a beautiful tortoise! :<3:
But have you read the care sheet? She needs a MUCH bigger enclosure with deep substrate, hides, a water bowl, plants...

Tomatoes are not healthy, lettuce and carrots should only be fed every once in a while. Feed her edible weeds like dandelion, plantain, clover,... instead and put a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure so she can get calcium.

I'm sure if you change the enclosure she'll feel more secure and start to eat soon. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You need a much bigger enclosure. She needs to be able to regulate her temperature. It needs to be big enough that there is a cooler side and a hot side. You need a basking area and a water dish big enough for her to climb in and soak as well as drink. She needs places to hide. Imagine how you would react put in an empty closet with an open top that you could not reach.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm going to repeat something that was already said here: the substrate needs to be deep. Deep enough to burrow into. And moist. Soil has a tendency to become mud, so use coconut coir with it or instead. Increase the size of her enclosure. That's a prison, not a habitat.

Have you read the care sheet?

I know this is all new to you and you are are still learning. Everyone is trying to be nice and helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The area you keep that tortoise in needs to be about 5 times bigger than it is. The poor tortoise is stressed. It also needs a hiding place where it can get out of the sun and out of the watchful eyes of any perceived predators. Place the food on a rock or tile to keep it clean. Use a plant saucer big enough that the tortoise can fit inside, for water.

Please read the care sheet pinned at the top of the Greek tortoise section, and make the necessary adjustment to the way you care for this tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good job! We're here to help, and we appreciate that you're willing to listen.

Zerny-Mcmerny

I did some massive changes.I made the place 3 times bigger,Put a bowl for food and added a stone so the tort could get up and eat,I made the soil thicker so she can dig,and added a tray with some water.I'll post a photo tomorrow ^_^

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any plastic tub that's big enough for him to turn around in with a door way cut out of it. In my bigger tort table I have a 10" PVC cut in half lengthwise and then cut to about 10" long and packed with moistened sphagnum moss. You can see it here without the moss:

Leopard Benawes a.jpg

Zerny-Mcmerny

So, what do you think?I'm getting a pipe and cutting it in half as soon as I find one.The tort stepped on the food causing it to go dirty(I'm gonna replace the food).^_^

Attachments

• 1432818779261.jpg
    1432818779261.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 24

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Z-M It's better but I think it still needs to be bigger and you need some plants in there for her to hide in and offer shade, something like a spider plant which will be safe if she nibbles.it. You don't have to have a pipe - a plant pot big enough for her to get in, half buried on its side would do and sink the water dish level with the surface of the soils, so she can get in and out easily - a terracotta plant saucer would be better for her feet to grip.
Have a look at the Enclosures section to see what other folks have put in theirs.

You obviously want to do your best for her and you'll get there in the end with a happy, healthy tort if you do as the rest of have and follow all advice as best you can.:)