My tortoise pooped out some white stuff-discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakexlove

5 Year Member
RE: My tortoise pooped out some white stuff

My Russian urates usually a couple times a week. Today tho it looked pinkish, should I be concerned? I've been feeding him a bit of kale with his mixed greens and the calcium powder 3 times a week.

nh112166

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Quoted from The Reptile Channel:

Tortoises produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white.

I have had my Male sulcatta for 17 years and he does a lot of that right after hibernation especially and sometimes when he hasn't eaten enough fruit..I always assumed it's because he is dehydrated and nneds more fluids since he doesn't like drinking water. When I give him berries and melons it usually goes away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

nh112166 said:
I have had my Male sulcatta for 17 years and he does a lot of that right after hibernation especially and sometimes when he hasn't eaten enough fruit..I always assumed it's because he is dehydrated and nneds more fluids since he doesn't like drinking water. When I give him berries and melons it usually goes away.

Hello nh112166:

Two things you have said here give me cause for concern:

1. Sulcatas don't hibernate. They come from a climate that doesn't get cold enough for them to have evolved to hibernate. You should be keeping him warm in the winter and feeding him.

2. Grass-eating tortoises shouldn't be given fruit very often. It can be a sometimes treat, but not part of the regular diet.

Because you've had your tortoise for 17 years, it tells me that we all still have a lot to learn about turtles and tortoises. May I ask what your climate in the winter is like and how cold it gets where you keep your big guy?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.

emysemys said:
Quoted from The Reptile Channel:

Tortoises produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white.

Thank you so much I was trying to remember what it was called the "Urate" that is.

M

Maggie Cummings

No, it sounds like somebody is just trying to get us stirred up Yvonne...

Mert

5 Year Member
California

This is what mert did today. I have never seen so much before. Usually just dots in urine. Normal? Should i change something? Sorry for the gross picture! Haha

Attachments

• 2012-05-07_12-29-55_277.jpg
    2012-05-07_12-29-55_277.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 226

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

It looks gritty, he is more than likely dehydrated, it should look like tooth paste.

Mert

5 Year Member
California

Okay i will soak him. He has water there all the time but i never see him drinking. He eats dandelions everyday is that okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.