My tortoise isn't eating!

mozzie45

5 Year Member
I have a two and a half year old Ibera Greek tortoise. I am not hibernating her this year because I'm not quite comfortable with it yet (I will definitely start next year don't worry!!!) so I moved her indoors. She stopped eating when the weather cooled down which I know is normal, but she still hasn't started eating and she has been inside for a week. She has a basking light and is definitely warm enough, so do you have any ideas why she is not eating?

mozzie45

5 Year Member
I have a two and a half year old ibera greek tortoise. I got her from a breeder who said that he successfully hibernated her the year before a got her. Last year I left her outside during the winter, but I don't think she ever completely hibernated. She got really inactive and stopped eating, but she would always wake up when I touched her or checked on her. I brought her inside this year because I was worried about trying to hibernate her again. I live in northern California, so maybe it didn't get cold enough???? What should I do next year when I try to hibernate her again?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
What part if ca? Most likely not cold enough. I keep my guys out all year around. Even some of my box turtles will sleep weeks on in. Wake up. And then sleep. Just depends on the weather. You can always make a hibernation box and keep it somewhere cool. Or don't hibernate and just keep her up all winter.

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We had a really warm winter last year. I'm not a fan of just leaving them outside to fend for themselves. Our enclosures in our foreign land are not waht these animals have adapted to dealing with over many millennia and they frequently die due to human error.

I don't give mine the choice and I don't leave them outside at the mercy of mother nature either. I either intentionally hibernate them with the correct temperatures and all the proper lead in and wake up times and procedures, or I keep them up with warm temps and good lighting.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a two and a half year old ibera greek tortoise. I got her from a breeder who said that he successfully hibernated her the year before a got her. Last year I left her outside during the winter, but I don't think she ever completely hibernated. She got really inactive and stopped eating, but she would always wake up when I touched her or checked on her. I brought her inside this year because I was worried about trying to hibernate her again. I live in northern California, so maybe it didn't get cold enough???? What should I do next year when I try to hibernate her again?

Research ALOT between now and next winter....you will need to decide what approach you will take for next winter and begin towards that now....like set up hibernacle, container the tort will remain in during the rest and such....:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It seems dangerous to me to just leave them out there and see what happens. I guess I am kind of a control freak but I choose not to hibernate my tortoise or turtle. I definitely think you have to decide yes or no and then go with that plan all the way as long as the tortoise is healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're going to have to convince this tortoise that it's not time to hibernate. It's going to take some work on your part. Get the tortoise up every time you walk by the enclosure and put it in front of the food. Soak it in warm water every morning. Keep the lights on for 14 hours a day.

You say that it's warm enough, but just to be sure, take readings all over the floor of the enclosure. Cover it to keep the cold air from the ouse out and the warm air inside.