My tortoise has turned into a dog.

yillt

The other day I put Billy into his new cage and he stomped about madly and was swishing his tail. He did it 4 since then and just now he is in the garden and his tail is thrashing about. Does it mean he is angry or happy ETC.
Should I take him to the vet or can I do something to help?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No need for a vet for that. Hard to say if he is happy or mad. He is just being a tort.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Not sure if I read too much into it but I noticed when I change marthas enclosure around she poos in her food dish until I put it all back....

yillt

Oh. I have never seen him wagging his tail before this. Does your tort do it?

yillt

My little Billy doesn't do that.He doesn't poop in his food bowl he just stomps around head butting everything and making sure everything was how it was before.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She wags her tail right before pooping but that's pretty much it. Torts are creatures of habit. I'm thinking its the stress of a change.

yillt

Ok. Yvonne and Aldabra man and all the other experts do you have any opinions on this.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I wouldn't worry. Tortoises do weird things sometimes. As long as your tortoise is active, eating, basking etc. and has a dry nose and clear eyes, you're probably good to go.

If you would like, please post the basking temp, the ambient warm temp, the cool side temp and the night temp, as well as what kind of enclosure and substrate you use. Pictures would be awesome too - this way IF there is anything amiss with the set-up, we can help you trouble shoot. :)

yillt

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400087722.651073.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400087804.938454.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400087824.739516.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400087851.035411.jpgThis is Billy. He seems fine now but I found him with his head sticking under the water this morning. He was awake but seemed abit drowsy. Now he seems ok and he has gone to the loo.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
He was probably drinking water when his head was in the water, this is good :) Do you soak Billy often? He might not have used the loo if he was dehydrated.

yillt

I soak him twice every 3 days. Also how heavy should he be? He seems abit under weight. But now he is fine and going too the loo regularly. I am so relieved.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
As long as he feels solid when you pick him up, should be fine. They all grow at their own pace.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
my indian star wags his tail every time i sprinkle or spray water on him for the bath or when he's in the rain....