My tortoise has a smell

MybabyCharles

I was with my tortoise today. She had a smell it was on her I'm not sure what the smell is but after I bathe her she still smells I don't know if it's her bedding or what but I'm not sure what to do could it be her food? If you have any information please let me know.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Does it smell like poo? Is she peeling her skin at all? Sometimes if the skin is peeled off too early it leaves a pinkish spot that starts to smell like rotting flesh...? Let us know what you are feeding her and maybe what kind of tort is she?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Uh-oh, that's not good!!! I'd be more worried about the shell than the smell, though I'm sure they are linked together. I'm not exactly sure what advice to give you in this situation, so I'm going to call over some experts. @wellington , @Yvonne G

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
That is not good. Usually when scutes (shell pieces) start to peel off it is because the heat lamp is to close. Did they just suddenly come off, or did they slowly peel away over time?

Last edited:

Greta16

Western Maine
Head lettuce? You've been on here longer than I have...read the care sheets for Hermanns. You'll find what is actually suitable to feed your tort, lighting, heat, etc..maybe the experts will tell you if you need to take your tort to the vet..I know I would...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That smell must be the smell of some rotting tissue. That looks absolutely horrible. Could it be a bad burn as @Taylor T. has already suggested?
And, yes. Your tortoise could eat head after head of ICEBERG type lettuce and slowly starve to death.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm no expert, But the shell peeling off like that is not normal. Another shout out to @Yvonne G and @HermanniChris
Post pics of your set up, temps, lighting and heat your using and what the temps are. How often do you soak?
A better diet is indeed needed ASAP along with a vet visit. The look of the shell with the smell worries me.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I don't even know where to start...that's not good especially if it smells because it can mean active shell rot and head lettuce...that's a firm no. PLEASE read my care sheet pinned at the top of this page thoroughly and you may need to see a vet asap.