My tortoise enlcosure help

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
this is my enclosure ias I live in the U.K. N av problems with temp and humidity I have ad to put a plexiglass top on my enclosure I just want some advise on my temps since I have put the top on my middle enclosure temp is 31.6 and cold side 25 my basking temp is 33/34c after 15-19 mins but my tortoise is not goin near basking area and is laying in the door way of his hide box most of the day where the temp is 28c he is eating ok drinking ok he goes into his hide box at around 2:30pm and digs in and stays in till 8am following morning iv got a 75w basking flood bulb in my dome fixture and a uvb florescent tube can any one offer advise about temps do I put in a smaller wattage bulb for basking and close the top completly?

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 118

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your enclosure looks good :)

How certain are you of the temperatures?

Do you use a temperature gun like this?

Other thermometers are not so good for getting spot measurements.

Your tortoise must be able to bask at 35C in order to raise its core temperature to digest food and be active. Don't think of making it cooler than that.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yea I use temp gun same as that and also I use a probe digital thermometer I attach it to a rock about the same height as my Clydes shell and sit it under bulb and the readings are 33/34 after 15mins/19 mins and then upto 36 after 25mins but if I lower my bulb more my enclosure temps are 33 and 29 which are warm Clyde is sitting around his hide box door way most of the time where the temp is 29 and he is avoiding basking area that what is making me think it's a little to warm I'm just waitin to try n make it right because he is goin into his hide box at around 2.30 n staying there till morning

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To be honest turning in at 2.30pm isn't unusual. My Joe is usually tucked up by 3 (he's hibernating right now). Apart from finding food to eat and basking, torts don't do much except snooze. You could make finding food more of a challenge. Don't put it in the same place all the time. Have more than one food rock. Have plants that he'll browse (the occasional tray of supermarket living lettuce goes down well as a browsing plant)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Thank u joes mum for ur help iv got a slate under my basking bulb n wen I use temp gun to measure surface temp it's reads 36/37 c I will try mixing up food areas he sleep in his hide which temps in there wen goin in are about 25 n humidity around 58% my humidity in my enclosure are 48% I use the digital combo thermometer hydrometer can I just put the tray of lettuce in for him or do I have to wash it first Iv seen those in sainsburys do u think everything sounds okwhat I'm doin as I'm waitin everything to be right :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use the living lettuce from Saintsbury's. I carefully and gently rinse the leaves under a tap before putting the tray in with Joe. Push the tray down into the substrate so your tort doesn't have to climb to get to the leaves.

Your tort may prefer not to have slate under the basking lamp. Outdoors, slate is great in a weak sun, but it can get very hot indeed (frying eggs temperature) in full sun. I'd just have bare substrate under the basking lamp.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Thank u I will try with the lettuce n do I leave it for a couple of days just keep waterin it till he has eaten it or take it out daily I will also remove the slate and c if that makes any difference It's just baffling me why he is not goin near baskin area he will walk through it but Neva sit in it also do u think my enclosure temps are to warm or ok I av read loads of closed chamber threads and Tom advisers using a 65w incandescent flood light but I can't find one over here the only bulb I can get in floodlight is the reptile one n the next watt down is 50w

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Thanks joes mum my baskin bulb is a 75w flood bulb n iv got a uvb fluorescent tube for my uv needs but was just checking if this was ok to use to keep my basking spot at 35c iv just got to work out now were to place the probe thing in my enclosure :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
@JoesMum my humidity in his enclosure on my digital hydrometer and thermometer combo thing the humidity is showing at 49% and the gauge is sat on the floor on top of substrate is this of how to get the humidity reading and also what should I be aiming for percent wise

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
i found you :D , looking awesome and sounds like your going to have one happy healthy little friend:)

im in scotland with a hermans, i believe care is similar. the plexi with cut out is the same thing i done, worked a treat:).

i made a closed chamber, bassed on toms thread, holds humidity like you wouldn't believe, ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488056315.156703.jpg

actually have to fight to drop it! i think 70% is ideal as long as temperatures are up, the thermostat is a great addition:). i have se to 80F with probe inside the hide tunnel ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488056463.608373.jpg

you will never be finished tweeting and landscaping:)

the basic mantra is ,

warm and wet... cowabungahh dude!!

wet and cold... wipeout:(

Laura1412

5 Year Member
@johnandjade im still playing around a little as iv swapped from a mvb to the florescent tube and basking light iv also had to higher the enclosure up to put the tube but now I'm just messing with which watt basking spot to go with I'm tryin a 75w at the mo but it seems if I'm getting my basking spot to 35/36 then all my enclosure is getting a bit warm i.e. Middle 31/32 and cold 25/26 his hide is 24/25 in day and my night temps Neva go below 20 as my central heating so I'm just tryin to c what makes Clyde happy and if this 75w don't seem to be working I'll go with a 50w and put it inside the enclosure and seal the top completely my humidity is on my digital gauge is owt between 45/58% I'm waiting tho a a probe humidity meter comin as iv reading up on threads they more accurate people say so it's just minor tweaking now I think the enclosure is 4ft x 6ft I was tryin to run the dimmer stat of the basking bulb to c if that helped wi overall temps but tom advised against and iv learnt loads of @Tom he's been brilliant as @Tidgy's Dad and @JoesMum and lots of others which I appreciate truly

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
@johnandjade im still playing around a little as iv swapped from a mvb to the florescent tube and basking light iv also had to higher the enclosure up to put the tube but now I'm just messing with which watt basking spot to go with I'm tryin a 75w at the mo but it seems if I'm getting my basking spot to 35/36 then all my enclosure is getting a bit warm i.e. Middle 31/32 and cold 25/26 his hide is 24/25 in day and my night temps Neva go below 20 as my central heating so I'm just tryin to c what makes Clyde happy and if this 75w don't seem to be working I'll go with a 50w and put it inside the enclosure and seal the top completely my humidity is on my digital gauge is owt between 45/58% I'm waiting tho a a probe humidity meter comin as iv reading up on threads they more accurate people say so it's just minor tweaking now I think the enclosure is 4ft x 6ft I was tryin to run the dimmer stat of the basking bulb to c if that helped wi overall temps but tom advised against and iv learnt loads of @Tom he's been brilliant as @Tidgy's Dad and @JoesMum and lots of others which I appreciate truly

they really are an awesome helpful bunch here :). everyone's conditions are different, what works for one... not another. sounds like you are doing brilliantly :). as long as humidity is above 50, i think you're fine. i believe our UK climate, if ample as long as the uv and temps are good:)

keep on totin' :D