My Sulcata Outgrew His 10 Gallon Aquarium...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He finally outgrew his 10 gallon aquarium, so I got him a GIANT concrete mixing tub. There are some rabbit pellets in there for substrate. Now I can't decide which end to put the heat lamp on...

Do you guys think its big enough? He might be a little cramped in it, even though its big. I want to give him the best care possible.

2ef6tjn.jpg

2qizfhf.jpg

:D

chpete79

5 Year Member
HAHA as soon as I read this I said "Oh here we go, he's gonna get it!". Then I saw who posted it and the very funny pics. Thanks for the laugh.

chadk

10 Year Member!
My only concern is that his shell really could use a rub down with some baby oil or something. Other than that, you are doing great!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I was talking to my kids and half looking at the post. I saw the picture and said "what the ????. I had to back track and see who posted it. You are very funny. How did you get him in there? He looks heavy.

Dawna

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I saw 'Aquarium' then 'Roachman' and thought, NO WAY! He's gone bonkers! After all the great advice you've given me I could not beleive my eyes!! But your off the hook now, love the pics. How much does that tortie weight?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You're on the right track, just hose him down a bit to offer some humidity, because he looks a little dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
chadk said:
My only concern is that his shell really could use a rub down with some baby oil or something. Other than that, you are doing great!

Baby Oil!!! Are you crazy?! I heard that somebody read somewhere a long time ago that that stuff is toxic to tortoises. You can only use vaseline and NOTHING ELSE! EVER! Its made from petroleum by-products, so its all-natural, you know, like the decomposed dinosaurs that crude oil comes from. Jeez, what are you, new?

terryo said:
You're on the right track, just hose him down a bit to offer some humidity, because he looks a little dry.

For humidity, I just leave the poop and pee in there. You, know, like they do it in the wild in their burrows. I like to go all-natural whenever possible.

DonaTello said:
I saw 'Aquarium' then 'Roachman' and thought, NO WAY! He's gone bonkers! After all the great advice you've given me I could not beleive my eyes!! But your off the hook now, love the pics. How much does that tortie weight?

He weighs around 100 pounds, unless I have to lift him myself. Then he weighs as much as a car.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
"He weighs around 100 pounds, unless I have to lift him myself. Then he weighs as much as a car."

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:
"He weighs around 100 pounds, unless I have to lift him myself. Then he weighs as much as a car."

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Oh, come on. You know you are gonna have to translate that! Please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
APBT_Fanatic said:
Roachman26 said:
terryo said:

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Oh, come on. You know you are gonna have to translate that! Please.

ROTFLMAO: Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A** Off

Ahh. Thank you for the translation. I must admit, I was laughing as I typed it too. I was almost giddy.
But not quite... cough, cough...

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
you know if you keep him in a small enclosure he won't grow that big. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes! That's exactly what they told me at the pet store too. Hopefully he won't outgrow this one so soon.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
What are you going to do with him when he gets bigger?

I always get that question. Nice job - it was a good laugh.:D

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Maybe you should 'adopt' another one from a pet store...:rolleyes:
since this one is doing so well (after being sick).;)

Now I am enjoying this too much!! :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is just TOO funny!!

I like that you left so many spaces between the words then the picture, because usually when you're reading the post you already can see the picture. But all I could see was a big blank space. So when I scrolled down to the picture, I burst out laughing!

I couldn't believe, after all you've written about pyramiding, that you had put alfalfa pellets as substrate.

Too, too funny!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
Why isn't there a hide box in his enclosure?

Because, don't you know, that would only take away from his necessary 24 hour sun exposure. Jeez! Don't you know they come from the African Savannah. Its VERY sunny there.

chpete79

5 Year Member
Roachman26 said:
GBtortoises said:

Because, don't you know, that would only take away from his necessary 24 hour sun exposure. Jeez! Don't you know they come from the African Savannah. Its VERY sunny there.

Might I suggest flipping the entire closure over at night, it will protect him and give him a sense of security. Additional benefit... it will spread around your humidity source!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
chpete79 said:
Roachman26 said:
GBtortoises said:

Might I suggest flipping the entire closure over at night, it will protect him and give him a sense of security. Additional benefit... it will spread around your humidity source!

That's a great idea, but I might get a hernia.

Status
Not open for further replies.