My Simple Home Made Incubator

ethan508

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
I added a 'slightly used' pair of Russian tortoises via classifieds a few days back. When I picked them there were eggs in the vivarium. I doubted the eggs viability, but figured it wasteful to not try incubation. If nothing else getting an incubator built and running would be good practice for future breeding opportunities.

First I started with a Styrofoam shipping box (10"x12"x12" with 1" thick walls). I filled this with water and found out that it leaked/wept. So lined it with a small garbage bag. To manage the cords I cut a small notch in the box.
May 2017 001a.jpg May 2017 002a.jpg May 2017 003a.jpg

I filled it full of water and placed a 75W aquarium heater in the water (smaller wattage would probably work as well, but I had the 75W kicking around). Then I found a small glad-ware container and filled it with moistened vermiculite. I placed the container on top of the water, added a thermometer, place the Styrofoam lid. I then let it run a couple of days without eggs so that I could do some minor heater adjustments and let the temperature stabilize to the exact temperature I wanted. But it is now up and running with tortoise eggs for a few day.

May 2017 007a.jpg May 2017 009a.jpg May 2017 014a.jpg May 2017 020a.JPG

Let me know if you have any thoughts for improvement.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most breeders incubate russian eggs on dry media, and use the ambient humidity in the incubator to control moisture. The eggs can absorb too much water on damp media and crack open.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Most breeders incubate russian eggs on dry media, and use the ambient humidity in the incubator to control moisture. The eggs can absorb too much water on damp media and crack open.
Good to know. What humidity range should I aim for? A closed water box has pretty high humidity. I think I could achieve lower humidity by leaving the lid open but then temperature control becomes more difficult. Hum...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good to know. What humidity range should I aim for? A closed water box has pretty high humidity. I think I could achieve lower humidity by leaving the lid open but then temperature control becomes more difficult. Hum...

I'm only repeating what I've read. I've never hatched russians. I'd rather you get direct advice form someone with first hand experience.
@Carol S
@kanalomele
@GBtortoises
@TylerStewart