My setup for now

TheTOAD

I've only seen her drink from the water a few times, mainly drinks when I soak her.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
TheTOAD said:
mainly drinks when I soak her.

That's good that she drinks when you soak her.

I'm not trying to pick on you or start any kind of argument here, but I am just trying to nicely point out that just because you haven't seen your dragon go to the bathroom in the shared water dish, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Just because you first-hand do not see something happening, does not mean it does not happen at all.

For example: I have only ever seen ONE of my sulcatas eat their cuttle bone ONCE, and I have had them for a year, and spend a lot of time with them every day. But I know it happens because I see bite marks on both their cuttle bones.

TheTOAD

I'm glad you bring that up actually cuz I've never seen her eat it ever and I was starting to think I'm doing something wrong. And to remove the dragon is an aquarium fine? I'm at a pet store now and I plan on getting some eco earth to go with the sphagnum moss

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I know nothing about dragons and how they should be housed, but I'm sure someone who knows way more than I do will be along to help you shortly [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] and Eco earth coconut coir is very good substrate for your sulcata [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]

TheTOAD

Thank you for the advice and my dragon really doesn't do much he's lazy lol

$73 later I got the basics for now, next paycheck I'll get the rest :) broke for the next 2 weeks haha

TheTOAD

Is this better? I will be removing the dragon in 2 weeks cuz the cage I got was way to small.

Attachments

• 1391368860510.jpg
    1391368860510.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 64

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Toad I want to say I'm sorry for what I said and that I'm happy you choise to concider what these nice people were trying to say to you . Good luck with your tort . God bless

WillTort2

5 Year Member
One reason the tort and the lizard may be sleeping close together is because the lizard likes the heat the tort has absorbed during the day. Reptiles are experts when it comes to heat conservation.

Does the tortoise move to be with the lizard or is it the lizard that moves to be near the tort. Try putting a large rock in with the lizard to see if the lizard sleeps near the rock that has absorbed heat from the basking light.

And yes, I too would advise separate enclosures.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I can't tell what cost you $73. ? Petstores sure are pricey!

Have you considered shinning the basking light straight down into some flat rocks instead of onto the log? Makes for a more efficient basking area.
Do you have any digital or probe thermometers to gauge your temperatures or do you only rely on the stick on thermometer?

PetPlanet

Trust me, don't keep the lizard and tortoise together! My friend had a tortoise and a lizard ( specifically a bearded dragon ) and the beardie and tort started fighting even though they had been kept together for 2 years and were fine. The tortoise had really bad injuries. Really don't keep them together, separate them immediately!

Oh lol sorry I didn't read your message. ;) but that story was so sad, but anyone else reading don't keep tortoises and lizards together.

northernturtleman

allegan MI
Well, I am glad to hear that you do plan to separate them. The sooner the better, I was wondering with you living upstate New York how much time dose your tortoise get outside vs. inside. I know here in Michigan is horrible I can only let mine out 4 months out of the year.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I like the moss bedding. Is it wet? It looked dry to me in the pic. As for the beardie I'm glad they get along. And I do hope they get seperated. My sulcata out grew any kind of aquarium like a year ago. Lol. For the table you make, try and make it as big as you can for the sully. I normally use coco coir and repti bark as my main substrates. I have one temporary cage of aspen chips and I hate it. It's pokey to me and it's a pain to mix. My sulcata seems to like the Eco earth more any ways. But I do think they should be separated. I think the cage setup is okay. For a tortoise only. Bearded dragons don't really need humidity. I spray mine maybe once a day. Baby sulcatas however need humidity the first few years of their life to help them grow and steer away from pyramiding.

TheTOAD

I spray it a lot but it always seems to dry out fast, when I get home I'm gonna spray it again but I would like you guys to tell me if my tort looks health cuz she's kinda darker than the ones I've seen on here.

And yes pet stores are, where is a good place to get things? That won't break me lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, for instance, a very large plastic bin, much larger than a 50 gallon aquarium, would cost less than $35 at a home improvement store, while a 50 gallon aquarium costs more than $100 at a pet store.

The reflector lights are very costly at a pet store, but much cheaper on Amazon or home improvement stores.

I try to find all my needs at home improvement stores, and what I can't find there I look for on Amazon. If you buy enough on Amazon they sometimes have a free shipping deal.

TheTOAD

What would you recommend for an enclosure? I'm going to Mississippi for a week for training so I'll get a good chunk of change for it and I'd gladly spend every cent on my tort.

These are the pics on her, does she look health in your opinion?

Attachments

• 1391473891570.jpg
    1391473891570.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 1391473914814.jpg
    1391473914814.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1391473930548.jpg
    1391473930548.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 50
  • 1391473940575.jpg
    1391473940575.jpg