My Russian won't open her eyes

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have a Russian tortoise and she will not open her eyes since I updated her enclosure. She was sitting in the water yesterday with her head and front body hanging out of the dish. I need help ASAP I'm afraid she is sick. Thank you

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Also what type of substrate? Is it pine shavings because that is toxic.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your tort's eyes. Also sorry I cannot help here: am not a tort expert. Hope the experts help you, and that your tort recovers soon.

Please keep us updated.

Any pics of enclosure?

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Also what type of substrate? Is it pine shavings because that is toxic.
It is c
I can't really tell much from your pics.
Give us enclosure run down. Temps all over, night and basking. Humidity? If using coil bulb stop. What lighting and heating you are using.
the enclosure is a glass tank 100 gallon and Cyprus mulch as the substrate. I dampen the substrate frequently.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a Russian tortoise and she will not open her eyes since I updated her enclosure. She was sitting in the water yesterday with her head and front body hanging out of the dish. I need help ASAP I'm afraid she is sick. Thank you
Sorry to hear this. How long has she been like that?
Check your temps etc make sure she is warm enough (see caresheet)
You probably already know about the problems that many have experienced with coiled bulbs damaging torts eyes and apologies if preaching to the converted, but if you are using one of those change it asap.
Could it be the substrate you are using in her eyes?

Sorry if all this is something you have already considered I'm just trying to cover all possibilities - hopefully someone with much more experience will be along with more suggestions soon. I hope she'll be OK.