my Russian tortoise stopped eating

robin C

Hi there after 6 years of my son wanting a tortoise we finally gave in when he turned 12 and adopted a Russian tortoise her name is Flash. We took her to the vet had her checked out about a month ago we've had her since May 21st they did say there was some pin worms in her poop but not to worry about it unless she started to show signs. Flash used to be an excellent eater she would eat kale carrots Cactus Leaf cucumber. Over the last week she has stopped eating for the most part and seems lethargic. We did take her to the vet they did give her medicine for pinworms and gave me the advice of buying no flavor no color Pedialyte to soak her in in case she's dehydrated. It breaks my heart to see her change and I'm very fearful we're going to lose her. The next step with the vet is to do blood work which will be hundreds of dollars that we just cannot afford has anybody else gone through this and is there any advice?

Eduardo Hernandez

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
Carrots and cucumber shouldn't really be fed. Their stomachs can't digest sugars properly, and worms love to feed on sugar. Can we get pictures of your enclosure? And what your temps are?

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi there after 6 years of my son wanting a tortoise we finally gave in when he turned 12 and adopted a Russian tortoise her name is Flash. We took her to the vet had her checked out about a month ago we've had her since May 21st they did say there was some pin worms in her poop but not to worry about it unless she started to show signs. Flash used to be an excellent eater she would eat kale carrots Cactus Leaf cucumber. Over the last week she has stopped eating for the most part and seems lethargic. We did take her to the vet they did give her medicine for pinworms and gave me the advice of buying no flavor no color Pedialyte to soak her in in case she's dehydrated. It breaks my heart to see her change and I'm very fearful we're going to lose her. The next step with the vet is to do blood work which will be hundreds of dollars that we just cannot afford has anybody else gone through this and is there any advice?
After deworming did they examined his stool the second time to see if it actually worked? Sometimes you need to repeat it twice or more to get rid of the infestation. Lack of apetite and lethargy might still be worms. If not and on top they want you to spend money on the blood work I would change your Vet. Soak him daily in lurk warm water for about 20 minuts if his not eating.
I would change his diet as well, on top of this section you have a care sheet for Russians. Read it carefully and follow. You can show us your setup so we can help you with the adjustments. Where did you get him from?