My russian tortoise shell is cracked? And the head has a bruise..

TankTheHermann

i don't know what to do i got my tortoise and the shell seems to be cracked. When ever I dav the parts with water she would run away what should I do

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
i don't know what to do i got my tortoise and the shell seems to be cracked. When ever I dav the parts with water she would run away what should I do

Where? I do not see a problem area in the pic....and, Russian tortoise are not generally fans of the water dish/soak....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably an old injury and nothing to worry about. Is it dry, weeping? Also, like Angela said, most Russian tortoises don't like water - it has nothing to do with the crack.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's wild caught and not used to being handled or captured.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That's most likely not because of any sensitivity, its very likely its because she's shy because of being wild caught, humans are a new concept, basically a large scary monster. They're not used to being touched fromt eh wild and the only times they were touched in the past were in the events bringing her to you... essentially never in a caring way.

My guy used to be the same, he was very terribly shy, even touching his shell had him hiding away in his shell at the speed of light then trying to run away from the touch. Now he lets me "pet" his shell. Some peoples tortoises let them pet their heads but mine is not like that, so I'm happy with what I get.

She'll most likely warm up to you in due time :)

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
Add mine to the list of those who hate to be touched. I hope he'll get over it one day, but he hates both touching and water.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Mine doesn't mind being touched and seems to like her head scratched. She also likes gentle spritzing with a spray bottle or with the sprinkler outside. It just takes them a little while to warm up to you. Some more than others. But be gentle and don't push it.

freespirit4488

Apache Junction, Az
I have 2 Russians....1 male and 1 female that live together....the only time I ever see any head bobbing is when he wants to mate....Also I have water in their enclosure that they can soak in and they both go in it and sit there for a while themselves....they seem to like it. I guess I have the exceptions for Russians!