My Russian Tortoise, Kirby

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
I got him maybe about 2 or 3 weeks ago. He seems to be doing fine but he literally sleeps ALL day. I was just wondering if that's normal or not. All I have in his habitat is about 5 inches of coconut coir, and some mulch mixed in (cypress). And the water and food bowl and all that. But, if I don't take him out and put him on his basking spot he doesn't come out from under the coconut stuff. He just sleeps. But if I take him out and put him on his basking spot he'll just fall asleep there. I dunno, maybe he isn't sleeping, but his eyes are shut. And I also have to either show him where his food is or take him out to feed him, just so he can get out of his cage now and then. Since it's winter time now and he can't go outside.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
When you take him out to his food ...does he eat? Do you soak him? Eyes close...does he open his eyes while he eats and moves around and are they clear? What temps do you Have set up on cool..warm..hot side?:D

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
ascott said:
When you take him out to his food ...does he eat? Do you soak him? Eyes close...does he open his eyes while he eats and moves around and are they clear? What temps do you Have set up on cool..warm..hot side?:D

When you take him out to his food does he eat? Yup, every time. It just takes a minute for him to realize it's food. He usually sniffs it first.

Do you soak him? I've been trying to soak him about every day (only for a week now.. maybe I haven't had him that long :p)

Eyes close...does he open his eyes while he eats and moves around and are they clear? Yeah, his eyes are open once he wakes up. But I'd say it takes him about two whole minutes at the most sometimes for him to fully open his eyes. And yeah I'm pretty sure they're clear. They're really black and "shiny-like". So yeah, clear haha.

What temps do you have set up on cool..warm..hot side? His basking spot is 90 degrees F. Maybe like 91. And yeah he's got a cool side too. probably in the mid 60's because like I said it's winter here now and the heater is being expensive to run this year...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Perfect....the hurrying in and sleeping a bit could be an evolutionary clock working against you..so during the cool months he may be slower....however I personally would set up a night light for night time heat so he does not fall into the 60s for the night...to me that seems a little low....I understand about the heater thing ...so an inexpensive night heat lamp would handle offsetting that situation...you know? :D

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Perfect....the hurrying in and sleeping a bit could be an evolutionary clock working against you..so during the cool months he may be slower....however I personally would set up a night light for night time heat so he does not fall into the 60s for the night...to me that seems a little low....I understand about the heater thing ...so an inexpensive night heat lamp would handle offsetting that situation...you know? :D

Okay :D ill get one for him. Which one should i get though? And where in his habitat should i put it? He sleeps in many different places each night.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I think 60s are ok for night time temp for a Russian that isn't a hatchling. But if you'd like there's CHE (ceramic heat emitters) at different wattages, and there's light bulbs that are colored black which some use for night heat. You'd want to make sure those are well secured and have a ceramic socket probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.