My Russian Tortoise is not eating. I'm very worried!

Ivan Sarbinov

Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hi fellow tortoise lovers! I recently got my first tortoise from LLLreptiles two days ago. I did tons of research and built my own tortoise table to specifically accommodate a Russian Tortoise. His name is a Boris and from what I can tell he is a juvenile 4 inch shell length Tortoise. The problem and the cause for my concern is that he isn't eating, he isn't drinking(Yes I soak him anyway and provide a water dish), and he isn't excreting any waste. The goods are that he is semi active. By that I mean if he even wakes up during the day he will walk around the encloser for good 30 minutes and than return to burrowing under the hay. While he does roam he tends to run into the walls like hes trying to go through them. Again my biggest concern is that he is not drinking,eating, or excreting waste.Any help will be very much appreciated and will certainly relieve me and my tortoise.

My Setup
The enclosure is made of Wood and is two feet wide by four feet long. The walls are one foot tall length wise and about 1 and 3/4 width wise. The enclosure is split into thirds. The left third is made up of rocks and Coco Fiber, this is my basking spot(He doesn't use it). The middle third is made up of hay and this is where he spends his day.(Under the hay). In the right third I have a big half log hide and again Coco Fiber substrate(He has yet to visit both the hide and this third of the encloser).I have two lamps a 13W UVB by Exo Terra "Reptile UVB 150" and a 100W basking and heating light also by Exo Terra " Intense Basking Spot "

The Climate/Temperatures
The temperature are again split into thirds. At the left third temperatures are at 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit. In the middle third the temperature is at a almost constant 85 and at the right end the temperature is at a cool 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit. The climate is mildly humid. I live in New York so the humidity ranges from 30-55% and on rainy days 85-90%.

I will also being doing a video very soon explaining his behavior and going over the details of the encloser. If there is anything specific you would like to see in the video please feel free to mention. If I haven't made it yet I will certainly include it.

I love my Boris so much. He means so much to me and it would one of my all time lows if I were to lose him.

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
I hope someone is still watching this thread because my tortoise still won't eat. Any suggestions? Also when is time to throw in the towel and take my guy to the vet?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
Thank you for the reply. I just read through the links and they were threads that I have already read through either way read them again and will check each and every point again. My source of UVB is a 13W exo Terra " Reptile UVB 150". I also had a hunch that the hay may not be beneficial for him atleast at this stage and will give it a try. Do you recommend that I add more substrate?( Current amount is 1-2 inches of Coco fiber)

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Turn off that bulb if it is a coil type or loop type bulb, as they can cause eye issues. Instead, use either a long tube florescent bulb, or an MVB (mercury vapor bulb)

Yes, I would add more substrate, so that he could burrow down if he wants to. Does he have a hide to sleep in?

Also, 2x4' is kinda small for an adult Russian, is there any way you could make it bigger?

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
Yes he does have a hide a big half log. He didn't use the first couple of days, but ever since I showed it to him he has been making his new favorite spot. My Russian also isn't an adult yet he is quit small 4 inch shell length will post pick ASAP. At the moment I really can't make his enclosed bigger because I'm getting ready for college and the form is pretty small. I will also return the UVB and exchange it for a tube one. I'm also getting around to making him a couple more hides one for each climate. One more thing I have scowered the internet for signed of sick Tort and my guy has none other than not eating. Any red flags that you know of that I should check for?

Last edited:

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
I'm getting more and more. During today's bath my tort still hasn't drank a drop of water or pooped/peed but what shocked me was that he even tried to sleep in the water!!! We placed him in the middle of the tote water at shell line, and he began walking towards the edges and when he got there he rested his on the wall closed his eyes and began to sleep. I'm so puzzled by this weird behavior.

Jbrez

Minnesota
It took my Russian tortoise about three weeks to start eating every day. He drinks mostly when we soak him. When yours is soaking does it put its head in the water? It may be drinking and you are not noticing. Hope it starts to eat.

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
I have seen him dunk his head for a really short time. Also I've tried every single veggie on there care sheet. The only thing I haven't tried is the commercial tortoise food but I really dont think he Will give it much thought. Another thing, even when outside my backyard I s decently large and has so many tortoises preferred foods but, my guy instead exploring or even basking in the sun just dives his head face first into the dirt. I also called lllreptile and after I explained his symptoms they also seemed concerned. They told me to wait till Tuesday and he doesn't start eating to call them back. ☹️☹️ I'm really hoping that they will want him back or send to a nearby store where they will figure out what's wrong.

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
Here he is at his usual spot been there for the past 18 hours. The hose is right next door why does he choose the corner?

Attachments

• IMG_20170806_083141.jpg
    IMG_20170806_083141.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 15020230254251873188121.jpg
    15020230254251873188121.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Could you get a nice clear picture of his face please? It might be helpful.

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
His cute little face. Please look closely at picture one I think theres a little bit of foam/bubbles I have never seen that before

Attachments

• 1502023364421363665949.jpg
    1502023364421363665949.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 15020234375131074910660.jpg
    15020234375131074910660.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 15020234654731228183493.jpg
    15020234654731228183493.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Hmm, I'm not sure about that foaming. I would say that it was a respiratory infection, except that his eyes don't look puffy at all. Does he yawn a lot? Does he make any noises while breathing? Is that corner that he was hiding in for 18 hours on the warm side of his enclosure, or the cool side?

Ivan Sarbinov

New york
the corner is on the cold side. No yawning or noises while breathing. Could it be because he was face down for such a long time? He breaths fine through his nose, I have seen him blow some of the looser substrate.