My Russian Escaped

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Someone help me, I've been a non-functional member of society since my beloved Russian Tortoise went missing. Her name is Turtle (long story) and I rescued her in an emaciated condition, she enjoys when I sing to her, and I miss watching her blow bubbles in her baths... Anyway, now to the problem, last week we arrived to our new house (15 hour move, cross country) and I let her roam the new fenced in backyard. I went inside to to help with a heavy box - about 10 minutes later I came out to check on her and - poof, she's absolutely nowhere to be found! While searching the backyard I found a large gap under the fence (not from her) that she could have easily escaped from. It's now been 2 days since she went missing - I put up posters, I went door-to-door, I crawled through thorn bushes behind my house! I read tons of others posts where they lost their tort and a neighbor almost always finds them - but I just moved here, will anyone even care? Also, all the way up the road is the highway - I'm terrified she'll go that way - she could get hit or picked up by someone. What do I do? I feel like such an idiot! Will I ever see her again?

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All you can do is keep searching :(

Notify all the local vets and any animal rescues or shelters in your area. In warm weather tortoises can roam a long distance. Russians are notorious escape artists at the best of of times.

There is a chance your tort is still in the garden, so block that hole up and check for more.

The best time to find a tort is first thing in the morning when a tort will look for somewhere sunny to bask. It doesn't do any harm to bait these sunny spots with irresistible strawberries or tomato (both on the don't feed list usually as Russians can't digest sugars properly) to tempt your tort out from under cover.

There is a little hope. Our 7lb/10.5" Greek can be near impossible to find in our garden; they blend in well. It takes patience and repeated searching of the same spots. However, it may also be that you never find your tort. Fingers crossed that you do. Don't give up yet.

South Carolina
All you can do is keep searching :(

There is a chance your tort is still in the garden, so block that hole up and check for more.
The best time to find a tort is first thing in the morning when a tort will look for somewhere sunny to bask.
However, it may also be that you never find your tort. Fingers crossed that you do. Don't give up yet.
- It's been storming for the last few days absolutely zero sun out, but i've tried the morning idea.. should i block the hole? what if she tries to come back in? they're good roamers, i know that's why i am so scared - there is a highway right down the road!):

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Get down on all 4s! Keep looking at the ground level. Bring out her favorite food in am in spot where you last saw her. Chances are she is very close by. Mine was missing for full 4 wks!!!! In February! I'm in central Texas, but still temps dipped down to freezing at night. Don't give up! Call local pet shops and vet clinics, animal shelters and rescue groups around you give them heads up you have a missing tort, in case someone tirns her in, but very likely she's still close by. Keep looking!

hettisurmail

One of my Hermanns escaped for two years then randomly turned up in the garden one summer. I had given up all hope. I live in Scotland where the winters are very cold and one of the winters we had two foot of snow. But she survived and was actually healthy when she came back. I can't believe she was alright but is she could survive in our conditions I'm yours will be alright.

KassidySharp

5 Year Member
Toronto Ontario
I don't really have too much advice other than to not give up on searching anytime soon! Continue to tell neighbours and nearby shelters, vets, etc. Please please keep this post updated on if you find your tort. All the best!

South Carolina
Get down on all 4s! Keep looking at the ground level. Bring out her favorite food in am in spot where you last saw her. Chances are she is very close by. Mine was missing for full 4 wks!!!! In February! I'm in central Texas, but still temps dipped down to freezing at night. Don't give up! Call local pet shops and vet clinics, animal shelters and rescue groups around you give them heads up you have a missing tort, in case someone tirns her in, but very likely she's still close by. Keep looking!
One of my Hermanns escaped for two years then randomly turned up in the garden one summer. I had given up all hope. I live in Scotland where the winters are very cold and one of the winters we had two foot of snow. But she survived and was actually healthy when she came back. I can't believe she was alright but is she could survive in our conditions I'm yours will be alright.
These were really encouraging, thank you. I know this won't help me find her, but is there any advice for how to deal with this in the mean time emotionally? I have a long history of depression and since she went missing I haven't been eating and I've been sleeping up to 18 hours each day - I'm a literal wreck.. Any advice to cope?

South Carolina
I don't really have too much advice other than to not give up on searching anytime soon! Continue to tell neighbours and nearby shelters, vets, etc. Please please keep this post updated on if you find your tort. All the best!
Will 1,000% keep everyone updated, I look every single day and sob every single day - where the heck could she be !?!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry for your upset.
Put down some strong smelling foods they like - cucumber, strawberries etc to try to entice him back. Maybe place them under wire basket or colander so you know nothing else has eaten it.
Put a signs up in your garden and local area.
Good luck I really hope he turns up.

South Carolina
So sorry for your upset.
Put down some strong smelling foods they like - cucumber, strawberries etc to try to entice him back. Maybe place them under wire basket or colander so you know nothing else has eaten it.
Put a signs up in your garden and local area.
Good luck I really hope he turns up.
Will the smells work? Thank you for understanding what I'm going through - I have signs up

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Will the smells work? Thank you for understanding what I'm going through - I have signs up
Torts have a very strong sense of smell, so if he is anywhere near and smells something delicious he may try to find it.
The trick is catching him doing it so try when you are able to spend time watching out for him.

South Carolina
Torts have a very strong sense of smell, so if he is anywhere near and smells something delicious he may try to find it.
The trick is catching him doing it so try when you are able to spend time watching out for him.
Thank you! I assumed they didn't have a good sense of smell, not sure why. I'll try this!! Thank you!

hettisurmail

[ QUOTE="Samantha Fritsch, post: 1498783, member: 98907"]South Carolina, why?[/QUOTE]
I just wondered how hot it was.