My redfoot family

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
The cover went on today. Daytime temps aren't so bad but the nights are hitting mid-50sF.

Sunny actually decided to come out of hiding, so perhaps it's a sign that she approves.

She's such a princess with an attitude to match.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What kid doesn't like jumping in giant leaf piles? Fall enrichment ideas: cover the enclosure in leaves!

(Sorry, gross water picture. Jingle doesn't mind, though.)

If you have issues with [more] bugs, don't do this. I brought in a moth and possibly a dozen spiders (probably a lot more than that). If you have issues with the sounds of crunching leaves, don't do this. Hopefully they don't decide to run around in leaf piles in the middle of the night. The torts all came out, had a blast running around, sniffing and sampling everything. I'm sure the pillbugs and wormies will be happy, too.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
So, so, beautiful! I love the leaf enrichment idea. I bought catappa (Indian 'almond') leaves to do the same since I wasn't brave enough to deal with all the bugs. You've made such a wonderful habitat. You are an inspirational keeper.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
So, so, beautiful! I love the leaf enrichment idea. I bought catappa (Indian 'almond') leaves to do the same since I wasn't brave enough to deal with all the bugs. You've made such a wonderful habitat. You are an inspirational keeper.

I've warmed up to the bugs, I think. Sometimes I'd stick my head in the enclosure just to watch the families of pillbugs go in and out of the substrate. Unfortunately, I have to deal with all these baby spiders putting webs everywhere too.

And to be totally honest, the leaves help cover up the bare surface. Now that the torts are much bigger, I can't grow or transplant anything in the enclosure! They LOVE to munch on anything newly introduced, even if it's a plant they're familiar with. They also like to trample on things until they're super dead. Gardening was fun when they were little. Now it's just a war I know I'll never win. Oh well. These tortoises are adorable, right?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Necessary update on the fall enrichment idea: My 4 year old comes to me saying "Ugh mom.. the tortoise house smells horrible!" I figure it can't really be too bad because it didn't smell 2 hours ago. Nope. Even with my nose not at 100% because of a long lasting cold, I smelled something. I figured that decaying leaves would smell like nature at its finest.. you know, fresh. I'm going to have to redefine nature's scent now. Hopefully there aren't other negative issues that pop up from this "awesome idea".

Mental note: Nature out in nature smells awesome because it's outside in the open. Nature in the house has a chance to smell pretty unpleasant. A little ventilation and making the pillbugs work overtime should work.. I hope.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Haha! Yes pillbugs are great for cleanup! Last year I ordered some Bess Beatles as well, and they cleaned up nicely. But you need some woodchips for the Bess Beatles. Also kids love those, my kids held them a lot.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Haha! Yes pillbugs are great for cleanup! Last year I ordered some Bess Beatles as well, and they cleaned up nicely. But you need some woodchips for the Bess Beatles. Also kids love those, my kids held them a lot.

Just looked them up and nope! I think I'll stick to the bugs I'm familiar with, thanks :)

Why is it I'm okay with handling certain creepy crawlers but not others?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What kid doesn't like jumping in giant leaf piles? Fall enrichment ideas: cover the enclosure in leaves!

(Sorry, gross water picture. Jingle doesn't mind, though.)

If you have issues with [more] bugs, don't do this. I brought in a moth and possibly a dozen spiders (probably a lot more than that). If you have issues with the sounds of crunching leaves, don't do this. Hopefully they don't decide to run around in leaf piles in the middle of the night. The torts all came out, had a blast running around, sniffing and sampling everything. I'm sure the pillbugs and wormies will be happy, too.
This enclosure looks amazing. As natural as can be. Impressed is an understatement. :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just looked them up and nope! I think I'll stick to the bugs I'm familiar with, thanks :)

Why is it I'm okay with handling certain creepy crawlers but not others?
Mind over matter:p. Can they eat spider plants?

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
This will probably sound dumb, but how do you get your spider plants to thrive? They are supposed to be easy, but I can't ever keep mine alive. I have tried moving them into more/less light, higher/lower temp, more/less water, but they all gradually turn brown and end up dying. I think it may be that I use MVBs for daytime heat, so when they are in a spot where they get more light, they are also getting more heat.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
This will probably sound dumb, but how do you get your spider plants to thrive? They are supposed to be easy, but I can't ever keep mine alive. I have tried moving them into more/less light, higher/lower temp, more/less water, but they all gradually turn brown and end up dying. I think it may be that I use MVBs for daytime heat, so when they are in a spot where they get more light, they are also getting more heat.

Not dumb at all! I've probably killed more plants than I've kept alive. And really, I can't truly say that my plants are thriving unless I can keep them alive for a few more years.

Houseplants tend to do well at around 78F. Fluorescent lights at the manufacturer's recommended height seems to serve well enough for photosynthesis (so far, my wax begonias flower just fine this way). Chances are, you might be overwatering. That seems to be the doom factor of most folks when I read gardening forums. Also, I use tap water conditioner in my water and let it sit for about a day before applying it. Spider plants are supposedly sensitive to fluoride, chlorine and other "stuff". The other things to think about is the substrate that you use. Media like cypress mulch inhibit root growth.

I have spider plants over heat cables, under hot incandescent bulbs, in shadier areas when they get just northern window light. I don't water them everyday and when I do, it's more like a medium spray when I spray the enclosure down. Hope this helps. Feel free to post a picture of the enclosure with plants in it and maybe I can help more.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I think it's probably the heat. My leopard enclosures are at least 81 or 82 even in the coolest part, near 105 in hot spots.

These spider plants are located above heat cables of temps ~92F and under the basking lights that get a little over 100F right where the leaves hit the dome. Severe brown tips occur when the blades hit any part of the light. Below the burn is perfectly green, though. They handle dry substrate well, but it is fairly humid in the enclosure.

20151019_181616.jpg

GRohr

I gave my torts the "meatballs" that you linked and boy did they eat every bit of it. Even my loki came out right away this morning to chow down (he likes to sleep in most mornings). Bascha even went over to Gus Gus's plate to see if he left any behind (of course that chunky boy didn't). I love how creative you are and I have to copy spreading some leaves out in their enclosure!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I gave my torts the "meatballs" that you linked and boy did they eat every bit of it. Even my loki came out right away this morning to chow down (he likes to sleep in most mornings). Bascha even went over to Gus Gus's plate to see if he left any behind (of course that chunky boy didn't). I love how creative you are and I have to copy spreading some leaves out in their enclosure!

The meatballs weren't my idea. I give credit to @DeanS for making threads about his tortoise recipes. Glad your guys liked it though!

And make sure your enclosure is somewhat ventilated for the first few days after adding the leaves. The day after I added the leaves was a very cold day and I had to keep the plastic completely on. That's when the smell built up. I've been able to open the enclosure up daily now and so far no more smell. Or at least no one has complained about it anymore.

Btw, if your torts like the meatballs, try my mazuri turkey for thanksgiving. I had loads of fun watching them destroy it :)

GRohr

Thanks for letting me know about the leaves smelling some. I normally have their enclosure pretty sealed up so I can keep the humidity higher since it is so dry here in New Mexico. I do dry it out once a week just to make sure the substrate surface doesnt get too wet for them. Maybe I will add the leaves then and then take out most of them after they have had their fun. Thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thanks for letting me know about the leaves smelling some. I normally have their enclosure pretty sealed up so I can keep the humidity higher since it is so dry here in New Mexico. I do dry it out once a week just to make sure the substrate surface doesnt get too wet for them. Maybe I will add the leaves then and then take out most of them after they have had their fun. Thanks!

This is my first time adding a bunch of leaves. No idea if the smell was normal decomposition, leaves going stale, whatever other reason. Maybe others have had no issues with smelly leaves.

Also, the enclosure looked a lot nicer on the first day. Eventually the leaves lose their pretty colors and the place starts looking kinda junky. Don't get me started with the torts dragging leaves into their water dishes. I like reminding myself that they're adorable and tortoise keeping is supposed to benefit them, not be a convenience to me. Good luck!