My Radiated tortoise wets its substrate with water from its bowl - Is it normal?

ThallieAnn

Hi Guys,
First of all, I wish you all a great new year! :)

I have 2 radiated tortoises that I separate in 2 in-house table enclosures. Since a couple of days, at 3 or 4 occasions, I have noticed that there was no water left in the bowl of one of my tortoises and I kept refilling it. This morning, while refilling it, I noticed that almost all the soil substrate in it's enclosure was wet (I use a mixture of soil and coco fiber). I realised that she was wetting it on purpose,not sure how she does it but there was no water at all in the bowl this morning. Is it ok to let her do this or can it be dangerous for her shell, as in cause shell rot?

Can she be doing this because she feels the air is not humid enough or because she feels too hot as it is summer here? It is worth noting that I live on Mauritius island and here the climate is hot (between 62.6 F - 87.8 F) with high humidity levels ( 76% - 82%) all year round.

Thank you for your help guys :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopards will do the same thing. Sometimes they have their water dish filled with their substrate. They just keep walking in and out of it for who knows why. It's nothing to worry about. Just be sure that within their enclosures the temps and humidity is correct for them. 80% humidity outside does not mean it will be in their enclosure under hit lights. Btw, if it's warm and humid outside, I hope you have a outside enclosure for them. That's where tortoises should be when temps are warm

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In trying to build a picture in my minds eye of the situation, I find I need to ask some questions or ask that you post an image of the water dosh/bowl in place. I think the picture would be easier for both of us.

The way I use water bowls the tortoise is not readily able to tip or flip it. That would seem to be the case that you are describing? Otherwise you are asking if it's normal for the tortoise to drink it's water and then urinate on the substrate.

As for shell rot or 'dangerous' I don't see how that happens even when I see images that people post of tortoises with shell rot on their plastron. I have area in most enclosures where the tortoise can wallow. No shell rot on any of them ever.

Moist to wet substrate is okay, as long as there is a drier place for the tortoise to be at rest.

Look at the middle of the three images in this post, those are leopard tortoises and they spent the first year of their life in a wallow like enclosure, no shell rot. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/chambers-my-take-of-the-idea.77044/

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
As Will said - a picture would be very helpful. Urinating right at the bowls edge while drinking is totally normal. Walking into and sitting in the water for periods of time also happens occasionally. When your tortoise steps on the edge of the bowl, will it tip up and dump all the water out? Likely just that simple. I have never seen any of my radiated tortoises "purposely" dump water or ram the bowl. (though I have seen sulcatas ram anything put into their enclosure). Your humidity level in Mauritius is wonderful. Many of us go through great lengths to keep humidity levels there. No worries on the wet substrate. Get them outside !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think she's "wetting the substrate," rather I think she's trying to splash it up on her back. Tortoises like to sit in a mud puddle and flip the water/mud over themselves.

ThallieAnn

Thank you guys :) Here is a picture of when she is getting out of the bowl. The bowl is usually filled up about 1.5 cms depth and she can easily go in and out without flipping the bowl. I think because it is very hot during the day, she might just be getting in an out several times and taking water with/on her each time. I am waiting for their little wooden house to be built so she can have a cooler place to rest. I bought some peat moss yesterday so I will miss it with her substrate later today.
I do not leave them outside alone when I am at work because I have a dog and I am afraid that my dog finds a way to get to them :( I put them outside for about 20 mins in the morning before going to work and, during the weekend, I leave them outside for several hours in a cool enclosure where they can get sunlight as well. Besides they are still small and I am scared something happens to them outside so I keep them inside before I leave for work.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

IMG_5935.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you guys :) Here is a picture of when she is getting out of the bowl. The bowl is usually filled up about 1.5 cms depth and she can easily go in and out without flipping the bowl. I think because it is very hot during the day, she might just be getting in an out several times and taking water with/on her each time. I am waiting for their little wooden house to be built so she can have a cooler place to rest. I bought some peat moss yesterday so I will miss it with her substrate later today.
I do not leave them outside alone when I am at work because I have a dog and I am afraid that my dog finds a way to get to them :( I put them outside for about 20 mins in the morning before going to work and, during the weekend, I leave them outside for several hours in a cool enclosure where they can get sunlight as well. Besides they are still small and I am scared something happens to them outside so I keep them inside before I leave for work.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

View attachment 197071
Gorgeous little guys! Is the water pool ceramic or plastic? Are you sure it does not have a crack or small leak somewhere?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looking at the water pool again, I would sink it deeper down into the substrate and put a few rocks in it.