My new star tortoise - pogo

rolley

I found a star tortoise 3 weeks before and i faced some problems in the starting... I'm curious to know the age...is their any method to guess their age ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Not really, as they can grow at vastly variable rates.
If you post a photo, we might be able to say Hatchling, juvenile or adult, but not much more than that.

Alaskamike

South Florida
That looks like an adault. Size is hard to tell with nothing to compare with. Hold it or put a person in the picture & we could tell.

Beautiful tortoise. What part of the world are you in ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
From your picture that looks to be about a 5" (12cm) Indian star tortoise. It looks to be 6 years old. A better picture will help, top and bottom.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here it is

I guess I was 1/4" off in my guess! Thanks for the follow-up.

Where are you located? That is a beautiful tortoise and growing very smooth. It has such well defined and even growth rings I think it is pretty safe to say it is right aroung 6 years old. Could it be a wild tortoise? Are you in an area where it is native? It at least appears to have been kept outside, or at least in a seasonally variable climate its whole life.

Looks also to have a female shape. If you could show us a picture of the underside and tail, we could tell you the sex.

rolley

Thanks mark
I'm from Mount Abu, Rajasthan India..
Yes he is a wild tortoise... I found him a month ago roaming in a field... I found it in a village 20 miles away from here (the village is in plains and Mount Abu is a hillstation)
He is a boy ..I found it by Google W shaped back

I sometimes feed him with my hands

Attachments

• 1501773991412.jpg
    1501773991412.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 50

rolley

The climate varies a lot from where I found him and in Mount Abu

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
thats a beautiful tort rolley. I am so envious to be able to find star tortoises like that roaming the fields. His growth patterns and smooth shell looks fabulous