My new juvenile Redfoot

Dėad Lee

Haha! You can just get few layers of good absorbent paper towel or better yet, Maxi size feminine pad and get some wide tape (the kind for human skin used wound care) flap the pad from from to back and just secure it with tape around his "waist" molding the pad to his shape to cover all the potential leaks. I'm definitely doing it. Soon!!! I've been peed and pooped on by upset tortoise way too many times
What a great idea!!!! thanks!

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
If your tortoise pees on you or your bed because it's upset or distressed, I would recommend not putting it on your bed instead of putting a diaper on it... I believe torts are best left in their enclosure, with the right climate, no dangers of getting hurt and no stress.

Cute tort!
I'm new to the tortoise keeping, and I tried to not to touch or handle Clyde even though he is awfully cute. But I could swear that when I sit close to his temporary box, he will come to me and climb higher to look at me. It's like he is bored and wants me to entertain him…

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm new to the tortoise keeping, and I tried to not to touch or handle Clyde even though he is awfully cute. But I could swear that when I sit close to his temporary box, he will come to me and climb higher to look at me. It's like he is bored and wants me to entertain him…
What species of tortoise do you have? He may be curious or wondering if someone's trying to "threaten" his territory. :D

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Haha, he is a 4 month old Russian tortoise. He doesn't look threatening at all. LOL

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands

I think this is curiosity. Or maybe he's checking if you are providing new food! My redfoot also does this (especially in the morning, when I usually feed her), but I never interpreted this as willingness to play/be entertained.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
I think this is curiosity. Or maybe he's checking if you are providing new food! My redfoot also does this (especially in the morning, when I usually feed her), but I never interpreted this as willingness to play/be entertained.
It is very possible too. My Clyde is never enough with food!

Dėad Lee

If your tortoise pees on you or your bed because it's upset or distressed, I would recommend not putting it on your bed instead of putting a diaper on it... I believe torts are best left in their enclosure, with the right climate, no dangers of getting hurt and no stress.

Cute tort!
He only peed once, and that was the first day I had him. I think he's usedto being handled auctually, still a lil shy, but no more peeing. And I like letting him run around the house, he seems to like the adventure.

Dėad Lee

A "MEAN" Redfoot would be rare, but one that is super frisky, shall we say, is not.
I recently re homed a male to another member that would just not give the females a break.
I don't have any females, hopefully he doesn't fall in love with my shoe or something

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
He only peed once, and that was the first day I had him. I think he's usedto being handled auctually, still a lil shy, but no more peeing. And I like letting him run around the house, he seems to like the adventure.

I've already read soooo many stories on this forum of torts getting sick, hurt or even killed by roaming around the house... :'( And they all were very careful. So I would never do this myself, nor recommend it to others.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I've already read soooo many stories on this forum of torts getting sick, hurt or even killed by roaming around the house... :'( And they all were very careful. So I would never do this myself, nor recommend it to others.
Agreed, temperatures and humidity can't be controlled, draughts can be dangerous and small objects, even dust bunnies ban be ingested and cause harm.

Dėad Lee

That's ok, i know you're not recommending it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Cute tort!
Very good point indeed, for folks who raise their animals outdoors or breeders who do this on bigger scale. Mine are PET torts who get handled daily either by myself or my children who help with their care and love to play with them. In fact they are so used to being handled by humans that they come up to us begging for treats and head rubs. I think we all do what works for us and our pets and lot of that stuff is really about making personal choices. No right or wrong there.

Dėad Lee

Very good point indeed, for folks who raise their animals outdoors or breeders who do this on bigger scale. Mine are PET torts who get handled daily either by myself or my children who help with their care and love to play with them. In fact they are so used to being handled by humans that they come up to us begging for treats and head rubs. I think we all do what works for us and our pets and lot of that stuff is really about making personal choices. No right or wrong there.
Thank you :)