My new juvenile Redfoot

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
What a great looking tortoise! A Redfoot and a Russian, did you visit a reptile show or something?

Dėad Lee

What a great looking tortoise! A Redfoot and a Russian, did you visit a reptile show or something?

I ordered the Russian a few months ago, I wanted captive bred, and i ordered before it got what I think is too cold to ship. I originally wanted a redfoot but everyone on facebook talked me out of it.
I did go to a show to get frozen rat pups for my savannah monitors and the redfoot was there. someone took him in as a trade and said they couldn't get rid of him. I almost didn't get him, I auctually left the show and made it about 2 miles and went back and got him. He seemed like he was in decent health, he held his shell up really good when he walked and doesnt drag any feet and his nose and eyes looked clear. I've only had him a few weeks.(And he looked so sad in the tiny tote they had him in lol) He goes for a vet check up Tuesday, just to make sure he's healthy, but he seems good so far

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not really 'up' on RF stats, but he looks almost full grown to me.

Dėad Lee

Hi and welcome from Texas! Your tort's shell is beautiful!!!! Nice and smooth. 9" long carapace sounds like yours maybe subadult. Very, very pretty animal!

Thank you, i don't know who raised him, but someone at some point in time really cared for him.
I would guess subadult is probably right

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I had to laugh when reading your comment "no accidents". My daughter just had her friend for sleepover. The daughter is the original tort owner but as life often has it I (the "tort granny") mostly care for them. They are spending their last winter indoors (still young, only 6-7") and their sleeptank-sauna (40 gal planted terrarium) is in her bedroom. So the girls decide to get the babies out to play with them on the bed on a lazy saturday morning. Our torts love being handled and they are always curious about us humans so it's fun to play with them. The only thing is that no matter how cool torts are with people, they can still get that stress reaction when handled as mine did, peeing all over her Dutch goosedown comforter! I know it's cruel but couldn't stop laughing! And yes! I did help her with the bedding and the comforter is washable on one of those funky settings of my lg frontloader) Anyway that experience and your post have made me think, it maybe a good idea to diaper them for such playtime:) i've seen people do it on youtube. I think I'm going to try

Dėad Lee

I had to laugh when reading your comment "no accidents". My daughter just had her friend for sleepover. The daughter is the original tort owner but as life often has it I (the "tort granny") mostly care for them. They are spending their last winter indoors (still young, only 6-7") and their sleeptank-sauna (40 gal planted terrarium) is in her bedroom. So the girls decide to get the babies out to play with them on the bed on a lazy saturday morning. Our torts love being handled and they are always curious about us humans so it's fun to play with them. The only thing is that no matter how cool torts are with people, they can still get that stress reaction when handled as mine did, peeing all over her Dutch goosedown comforter! I know it's cruel but couldn't stop laughing! And yes! I did help her with the bedding and the comforter is washable on one of those funky settings of my lg frontloader) Anyway that experience and your post have made me think, it maybe a good idea to diaper them for such playtime:) i've seen people do it on youtube. I think I'm going to try

LOL!
I tried to diaper him, but his back feet kept pulling it off, maybe I had it on wrong, I never had kids so I have no diapering experience lol :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
LOL!
I tried to diaper him, but his back feet kept pulling it off, maybe I had it on wrong, I never had kids so I have no diapering experience lol :)
Haha! You can just get few layers of good absorbent paper towel or better yet, Maxi size feminine pad and get some wide tape (the kind for human skin used wound care) flap the pad from from to back and just secure it with tape around his "waist" molding the pad to his shape to cover all the potential leaks. I'm definitely doing it. Soon!!! I've been peed and pooped on by upset tortoise way too many times

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
He's a good looking redfoot! :)
Haha! You can just get few layers of good absorbent paper towel or better yet, Maxi size feminine pad and get some wide tape (the kind for human skin used wound care) flap the pad from from to back and just secure it with tape around his "waist" molding the pad to his shape to cover all the potential leaks. I'm definitely doing it. Soon!!! I've been peed and pooped on by upset tortoise way too many times
I will have to try this. :D

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
If your tortoise pees on you or your bed because it's upset or distressed, I would recommend not putting it on your bed instead of putting a diaper on it... I believe torts are best left in their enclosure, with the right climate, no dangers of getting hurt and no stress.

Cute tort!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He was already trying to impress me the other day lol, will he get mean or just kinda "cuddle" stuff inappropriately?
A "MEAN" Redfoot would be rare, but one that is super frisky, shall we say, is not.
I recently re homed a male to another member that would just not give the females a break.