My New Baby Hermann's Tortoise

Smiller515

Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, New York
Hi everyone! I am a newbie Hermann's Tortoise owner, however I'm not entirely new to tortoises. The little guy I have now is three months old, and his name is Scooter. At first I wasn't sure what to call him, but after watching him cruise around for the first time- I couldn't have picked a more fitting name :)

I had a rough experience with my first tortoise, a baby Greek named Tiny Tim, who was sick from the time I got him. As a new tortoise owner I did my best research but I didn't know that his habits were not normal from the start. He came to me extremely dehydrated and no matter what I did with daily warm soaks, and watching him drink water, and keeping his tank humid. I felt helpless. I couldn't get him to gain weight, even though he was eating daily- and after two weeks I took him to the vet.

The vet said he was shipped to me at a small size and that he was dehydrated and had a respiratory infection. We discussed husbandry- plastic Rubbermaid tub- coconut coir and reptibark substrate, access to clean water, and tank temps ranged from 90 in basking area, 80s range on warm side and 74 on the cooler side with humid hide.

Despite my greatest efforts, and multiple trips to the vet, we were unable to help him through it.

It's been a few months and this time around I attended the Buffalo Reptile Expo where I chose my new guy Scooter. Right from the start he was a completely different tortoise! He is healthy and thriving amd I am so happy to have gotten him from a reputable source who could answer my questions!

Although my little guy is doing well, I am still a bit paranoid because of my last experience. I have had him for a week now and I'm trying not to be so worried about every little thing, but hopefully in time I will be able to relax a bit! I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice for keeping this little tort happy and healthy. Thank you!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

We are fortunate to have some experts in the care of your species who have written guides giving the most up to date way to care for them.

Please read the following

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of baby Testudo (including Hermann's)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you and feel free to ask any questions the above links raise :)

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Thank You So much for all of this great info! I'll attach a picture of my new enclosure. With this little guy I use the "forest floor" cypress mulch. I use a battery powered device to measure temperature and humidity. I also have a point and shoot thermometer to double check temps.

For lighting I use an 80 watt Mercury Vapor bulb where the basking area ranges from 90-92 surrounding areas range in the 80s and cool side is around 75-73. He is in my living room now on a side table, ambient temp is 70. I use a purple bulb at night for heat to keep temps between 73-70. He always sleeps burrowed under his log hide. :)

The pictures I attached were taken when I first got him home. I have since added a small shallow water dish on the warm side next to the tree in the corner.

If I forgot anything let me know. Thanks again!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hello and welcome to TFO

We are fortunate to have some experts in the care of your species who have written guides giving the most up to date way to care for them.

Please read the following

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of baby Testudo (including Hermann's)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you and feel free to ask any questions the above links raise :)

Last edited:

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
I have a larger bin 2.5 times the size of where he is now, but I'm afraid I won't be able to heat it properly. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Keep the lid on it, cut out a piece just big enough for the light to show through.

I have thought of this but was worried my tort wouldn't get enough air with the top being on. I was thinking of drilling holes along the top sides of the Rubbermaid tote. Would this be appropriate? I want him to have more room I just want to make sure he's getting enough air as well.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He will get enough air. If you drill too many holes all the heat will go out. Look under the Russian tortoise section, Yvonne made a thread about caring for a hatchling. There are some pictures there of enclosures.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Smiller515 and welcome to the forum! ;) That's a cute little tort you've got. Take good care of him.:)

I personally would not advise you to keep your tort in that transparent enclosure: the tort may keep trying to get out and this would cause a lot of
stress.:( And the larger the enclosure, the better. Torts are used to roaming around in the wild as they please.

Give your tort daily soaks in warm water, and make sure it's warm and humid enough.:D

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
He will get enough air. If you drill too many holes all the heat will go out. Look under the Russian tortoise section, Yvonne made a thread about caring for a hatchling. There are some pictures there of enclosures.

Thank you, pictures are very helpful! I don't usually see many pictures of enclosures with a lid on, but given I live up North and winter is coming I want to make sure I'm keeping his home warm enough. I have already purchased a larger bin that I will be transferring him to today. :)

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Hi @Smiller515 and welcome to the forum! ;) That's a cute little tort you've got. Take good care of him.:)

I personally would not advise you to keep your tort in that transparent enclosure: the tort may keep trying to get out and this would cause a lot of
stress.:( And the larger the enclosure, the better. Torts are used to roaming around in the wild as they please.

Give your tort daily soaks in warm water, and make sure it's warm and humid enough.:D

Thank you!

Trust me, good care has been my priority from the start. After going through the heartbreak of doing anything I could trying to nurse an already sick baby tortoise back to health, keeping this little guy healthy and happy has been a top priority. I have only had him for a week and have already planned for larger accommodations, I was just worried about temperatures! And was unsure about how to cover him up. As for the enclosure I have a 2' x 4' tort table I want to get him into once he is a little bit bigger. Until then I have to make do with a Rubbermaid container.

My husband is making a wood liner for the tote to reduce his vision out of his home to reduce stress :)

He gets his daily soak in warm water each morning, at first he hated it but now he's starting to warm up to them!

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Thank you!

Trust me, good care has been my priority from the start. After going through the heartbreak of doing anything I could trying to nurse an already sick baby tortoise back to health, keeping this little guy healthy and happy has been a top priority. I have only had him for a week and have already planned for larger accommodations, I was just worried about temperatures! And was unsure about how to cover him up. As for the enclosure I have a 2' x 4' tort table I want to get him into once he is a little bit bigger.

Until then I have to make do with a Rubbermaid container. I am moving him to one that is 1.5 feet wide and 3 feet in length so he has more room. I hate that I had to keep him in the smaller enclosure until I had time to get his new home set up this weekend.

My husband is making a wood liner for the tote to reduce his vision out of his home to reduce stress :)

Any suggestions at to whether I should up the bulb to a 100 watt MVB for the larger enclosure? I have an 80 Watt on him right now.

He gets his daily soak in warm water each morning, at first he hated it but now he's starting to warm up to them!

Thank you for the kind welcome, and for the helpful advice!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you! When I cut the hole for the light, do you just rest the dome light on top of the lid?
The light must not touch the lid - it will melt it! You'd have a fire!

Cut a hole that's bigger than the lamp by about an inch all round. Hang the lamp from a lamp stand and let it hang just above the hole.

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Thank you for being so patient with my questions, this is why I want to make sure I ask the right ones before getting it all set up today.

As I was looking for examples I saw some pictures where people had the domes laying right on the lid, which I wasn't too comfortable with, so I appreciate you clearing that up for me!

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York

Those pictures were just what I needed to get me in the right direction, thank you!

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Here is the new set up. I will move my little guy in tomorrow after his morning soak :) eventually when I move him into the large tortoise table I will use the tub I be light and add some living plants that he can graze on :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are you using a mercury vapor bulb? All the pictures came up the same for me, I'll look of the top with the lid. It looks like there is a food bowl right underneath the light, you might want to move that to a little bit to the side so that the food doesn't shrivel up and get too hot. And if it's the water bowl it works the same way, you don't want the water getting too hot. You can put a flat piece of slate or a rock under the light to help with heat.

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
Hm, I'm sorry that's strange. For me if shows three different pictures, can can try to reattach. Yes it is a 100watt MVB. That dish ish actually for water and I sink it down in the substrate so there is no edge and eliminate tipping. The food is in the corner to the side of the light. I can move them over though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15