My neighbor painted a box turtle... and did not tell me until a month later

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I know it has been a while since I have been on. But Dora (my three-toed female) is doing wonderful! Thank you to @tortdad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Good to see you back. How about a current picture of little Dora?

txturtle13

5 Year Member
UGH I accidently hit post, before I could finish my post! And then it timed out before I could finish typing.

I will be looking for this turtle this weekend, to ensure it is OK . I'd like to at least get the nail polish off (safely). I explained to my neighbor that this is not OK and to please contact me anytime she finds a box turtle (their dog is aggressive).

What type do yall think this turtle is? I was thinking female, but cant really tell what type.

2015-07-17 09.05.13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It looks like it's mainly Desert Box turtle... Maybe mixed with something else like 3 toe.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
It looks like it's mainly Desert Box turtle... Maybe mixed with something else like 3 toe.
I was thinking the same. I am hoping to find it this weekend, or next, or next. It looks like it could use some TLC and def want to get the bright red nail polish off of him/her

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
UGH I accidently hit post, before I could finish my post! And then it timed out before I could finish typing.

I will be looking for this turtle this weekend, to ensure it is OK . I'd like to at least get the nail polish off (safely). I explained to my neighbor that this is not OK and to please contact me anytime she finds a box turtle (their dog is aggressive).

What type do yall think this turtle is? I was thinking female, but cant really tell what type.

I am confused by your question. Are you asking what kind of box turtle your Dora is? Or are you asking about the turtle your neighbor did the artwork on?
The one your neighbor applied the nail polish to looks like an aquatic turtle, a slider.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Dora is an adult three toed. I've had her for years. I was inquiring about the turtle my neighbor painted.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dora is an adult three toed. I've had her for years. I was inquiring about the turtle my neighbor painted.

While the picture is of low quality, the turtle with the nail polish is not a box turtle but an aquatic slider.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 139481

Looks like a RES (Trachemys scripta elegans) but without seeing the head, I'm just guessing.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
If it is an RES, I am sure it wondered up into our property after all that rain we had in May and June. I'll just keep an eye out for it, and move it to the river if I see it.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If it is a res, don't release it unless you know it to be native. They are invasive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are extremely native where I am. Houston, TX

While they occur in the wild literally all over the globe, they are native to Mexico. They are the most invasive turtle species there is. If this is a RES, it should not be released into the wild in Houston.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
While they occur in the wild literally all over the globe, they are native to Mexico. They are the most invasive turtle species there is. If this is a RES, it should not be released into the wild in Houston.
So she should sent it to Mexico? There more RES in Houston than there is people. That proves the point on how invasive the my are but it also makes the case that they are now native here. Releasing it will not cause an epidemic in Houston.

Clean it up and stick it in a pond.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So she should sent it to Mexico? There more RES in Houston than there is people. That proves the point on how invasive the my are but it also makes the case that they are now native here. Releasing it will not cause an epidemic in Houston.

Clean it up and stick it in a pond.

Because they are plentiful after their invasion does not make them "native".

And I will not advocate releasing non-native animals anywhere whether they are already plentiful or not. No sense in making a bad thing worse.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Because they are plentiful after their invasion does not make them "native".

And I will not advocate releasing non-native animals anywhere whether they are already plentiful or not. No sense in making a bad thing worse.
I'm sure the American Indians are saying the same thing about you and I.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sure the American Indians are saying the same thing about you and I.

I am part American Indian. Cherokee. There rest of my ancestry wasn't here until long after all that stuff took place.

Besides that, there is only one species of human and we are endemic to the whole globe. To the best of our knowledge, we are not an introduced pest. Invasive species sure, just not a foreign introduced species.