My mazuri arrived

hettisurmail

My mazuri has arrived but I don't know what to do with it. It's really expensive to get it in the uk so I could only get 300g. How can I make this last a long time?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My mazuri has arrived but I don't know what to do with it. It's really expensive to get it in the uk so I could only get 300g. How can I make this last a long time?
Not sure if you know, but "Mazuri" is a brand licensed for the US and cannot be sold in Europe. The parent company, Purina Mills, brands the identical product as Nutrazu for sale in Europe. The Mazuri most of us prefer is the 5M21. That same exact product is Nutrazu 50J3 in Europe.

daniellenc

Maryland
It should only make up a small portion of their diet like 20-25% but even then 300 grams won't last all that long. You can soak it in a tiny bit of warm water and break it up mixing it in with their greens. Maybe someone here can recommend a cheaper mazuri dealer or an alternative dry food?

hettisurmail

Not sure if you know, but "Mazuri" is a brand licensed for the US and cannot be sold in Europe. The parent company, Purina Mills, brands the identical product as Nutrazu for sale in Europe. The Mazuri most of us prefer is the 5M21. That same exact product is Nutrazu 50J3 in Europe.
I ordered it from America. It definitely said it was just mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep it cool and dry. You can store it in a plastic baggie or some sort of plastic container with a lid. It will last for months that way.

I would start with a single pellet. Put it in a little cup and add just a little bit of water and let the pellet soak it up. When its kind of mushy, then you've added enough water. You don't want excess water left behind with all your nutrients in it. Then, mix up your mushy pellet with the days greens and see how your tortoise likes it. Some of them love it at first sight and others never seem to take to it.

Be sure to clean up the mess every evening. I like Mazuri, but it is messy. I usually only feed it to mine when they are outside so that clean up is easier. And I like to soak them in the evening if they've been sitting in the Mazuri pile all day.

In time you can add more pellets as you see fit, depending on how much your tortoise eats.