My leopard is laying a clutch and I have question.

Nosignal

So I came home from work today and noticed that my Leopard (Big Mama) had started a nest chamber. She is still in labor as I type and I'm excited and worried. I really haven't noticed any gravid behavior so this caught me off guard, so I live in southern California and we just had a bit of rain and she started laying but I have a question. This is my first clutch so I ordered an incubator that will be here on Sunday (that is the earliest I could get it) but will the eggs be ok in the ground until then or should I remove them earlier? The temps have been in the mid 70's and will remain that way for those days but the low's are 59-60 at night. Everyone here has always been so helpful and thanks for any advice.
Cheers

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can move them and set them up in a plastic shoe box with damp vermiculite half way up the egg . Let them rest in a warm spot in your house that's around 75 ° . The when you get the incubator in put them in there . Tom has a thread on how he does it . It's a nice read . He's had higher hatch rates with giving the eggs a cool down period before incubation. Maybe we can get @Tom to comment.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The eggs will be fine in the ground until you get the incubator.

I have had the most success leaving them in the ground over winter, then digging them up in the spring for the remainder of the incubation period. That works for me in my area with my tortoises though.

Nosignal

I'm really excited but just want to give them the best chance I can, I appreciate your responses, Thank you and I'll search for Tom's thread on his method.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Just be sure that if you leave them in the ground, the nest location will not be flooded and oversaturated by rains or sprinklers. You will suffocate and kill the eggs if the nest gets flooded. Otherwise, leaving them in the ground is no problem.

Nosignal

Read up on some more posts, I got my incubator and we are going to give it a shot. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20170922_131941.jpg
    20170922_131941.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20170922_132631.jpg
    20170922_132631.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22