My Leo is Prego! X-ray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is confirmed...my leo is prego. 17 eggs! The vet prescribed a 2 week supply of Oxytocin to help her lay eggs. Check it out!
LeopardTortoise.jpg

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I'm curious about the two weeks supply of oxytocin..what instructions were given?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
I'm curious about the two weeks supply of oxytocin..what instructions were given?

I have nine shots for 2 weeks! Dr Greek instructed to give her 2 days on 2 days off....So Im giving her the next dose tomorrow.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
If you don't mind me asking, what prompted the radiograph? Was she digging and abandoning nest sites? or spending a prolonged period of time at a particular site without laying?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious about that too. Usually oxytocin isn't prescribed unless there's been some stress about laying.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
If you don't mind me asking, what prompted the radiograph? Was she digging and abandoning nest sites? or spending a prolonged period of time at a particular site without laying?

Her prior care taker suspected of her having eggs already..since she is a proven breeder! She did make a couple test holes.. but no eggs were in the holes. Correction the medication is twice a day! 2 days on 2 days off... Man I hope she lays soon.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
OK...the test holes probably prompted the prescription. Was just curious, as oxytocin is not something you would just give without first having a reason to give it (i.e discovery of eggs on a radiograph, in itself, is not compelling enough info to administer oxytocin) Thanks for the answers and keep us posted!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
I'm curious about that too. Usually oxytocin isn't prescribed unless there's been some stress about laying.

I think he prescribed it; since she is in a new enviroment. The move is stressful enough....this would probaly make it harder for her to lay? right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's very exciting, Walter. I hope they come out with no problems and you hatch out some lovely leopard babies!! My fingers are crossed for you.

Thanks so much for sharing the X-ray. We don't get to see that very often, and your X-ray is nice and sharp.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I loved looking at this xray. It amazes me how the eggs are all over the body and not just in one little place. I am curious as to whether the vet can tell by looking at the xray if the eggs are ready to lay. Do they have a certain amount of development needed before they are deposited?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
That is really amazing to look at! Good luck!.. and congrats! :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would think they would be further down if ready to lay.. but what do I know!
I wouldnt want her laying too soon.. isnt that what the drug would do? if she isnt ready?
If she acts normal and isnt straining.. Id wait on the drug.. but??

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Laura said:
i would think they would be further down if ready to lay.. but what do I know!
I wouldnt want her laying too soon.. isnt that what the drug would do? if she isnt ready?
If she acts normal and isnt straining.. Id wait on the drug.. but??

Hmmmm you got me thinking...She already took her first dose. I wouldnt want her to become eggbound. The vet said the eggs dont appear to have been there too long. The shells are arent thick...

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
DesertGrandma said:
Does a tortoise have a uterus?

No uterus, in the sense that mammals have one. They have ovaries, a funnel shaped organ (the ostium) that directs to follicles into the oviduct and lays down the albumen (egg white) and the shell. The oviduct is kind of complex but for lack of the brain cells to remember exactly what it is exactly comprised of, it is the holding reservoir for the eggs before being released into the cloaca and eventually the vent. Hope this helps.
Doc

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds pretty complex to me :cool: and very interesting. The oviduct must be rather large to hold so many eggs. Thanks for the info.

exoticsdr said:
DesertGrandma said:
Does a tortoise have a uterus?

No uterus, in the sense that mammals have one. They have ovaries, a funnel shaped organ (the ostium) that directs to follicles into the oviduct and lays down the albumen (egg white) and the shell. The oviduct is kind of complex but for lack of the brain cells to remember exactly what it is exactly comprised of, it is the holding reservoir for the eggs before being released into the cloaca and eventually the vent. Hope this helps.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.