My Hybrid-Leopard Baby has turned her nose up at Mazuri

Elizabeth Restat

So "Dottie," my hybrid South African / Babcocki baby has decided she wants nothing more to do with her Mazuri food. She came to us already used to it, and I've continued preparing it the way she had it when she was still with the breeder. However, while she chowzers anything fresh green and leafy, it's plain she is annoyed to find the pellets in her food.

Is there a different preparation I could try? Maybe soak it less? I'm doing between 1.5 minutes and 2 minutes at the moment. I'd like to see her diet get a little bit more rounded. I double checked and I bought the Tortoise diet, not the somewhat less well-received LS diet.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It's not uncommon for a tort to turn its nose up at new foods. However, many don't like the newer Mazuri LS. Old fashioned original seems more popular

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Was she started on the LS by the previous owners?
If she was, there is a difference between the older version and the LS. If your feeding what she has been used too, she just may be tired of it and would rather have more greens. I soak mine so they are completely soft. Try cold and warm water, see if she likes one over the other. You can also try smearing some on her greens, she might get a taste of a decide she wants it again.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Crush it into a dust and sprinkle it on some damp greens.

I would love to see a picture of this hybrid.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Elizabeth I'm glad to see you enjoying Dottie. Although I offer mazuri every 3-4 days not all of the babies develop a taste for it early on. In time I'm sure she will grow to love it. I had some tortoises that took 2-3 years before trying it and now go nuts over it.