My group is growing

Mike05

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
IMG_2797.JPG IMG_2795.JPG So the bottom two are my original two their both 6 inches. The top two are my new ones. Some one about two hours away was selling them for half of what I got my first two for. The two new ones appear to be about 4 and a half and five inches. The two new ones are a bit more bumpy than I would have liked. The smaller one is very active where the larger one has just started being a bit more active. I started soaking them both daily since getting them. Today was their first time they have really eaten almost every thing I put on the plate. Feeding turnip greens for the first time for even my first two. I have the two groups separated. If I take them to the vet any suggestions on what I should get them tested for? My reptile vet is pretty expensive. He's the only vet in the area that specializes in reptiles. Just to walk in the door it's $100 per animal. My regular vet for my cats it's $45 per animal to walk in the door. So yeah. The last time I used him I was treating my hypo snapping turtle for tape worms. :p We both figured it was most likely from nightcrawler's I gave him. Needless to say no more of those worms. Any ways any suggestions on how long I should quarantine them from each other? I have heard from other posts any where from 30 days to 6 months. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Mike

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
6 months to a year on the quarantine period. They should be very far apart and you'll need two of everything. (Nothing shared)
My last two introductions were 50/50. The first one resulted in a huge pinworm issue and the second was just fine.
I have a fantastic vet, but I would suggest only going when there is an outward issue or you can spend bundles of cash for nothing at all. Get a good look at the poop and if it looks "normal" and the tortoises are a good weight. Save the money for now.
Nice looking group of Cherryheads!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Best of luck with them. I agree about the long quarantine! Very important indeed.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I generally quarantine for a year. I had to learn the hard way. Don't learn like me.