My friendly box turtle neighbor wont open its eyes

Lliriel

Hello, i have a box turtle living in my back yard. Its been here for over 2 years now. Today i came across him while watering my garden, and noticed he wasn't opening his eyes, and was moving really slow, i try not to mess with him to much, because he is a wild box turtle, and my back yard is huge. So i try to let him be the wild turtle he is. The most interactions i have with him is feeding he fruit, any suggestions on what might be wrong with my friend? or what i should do to help him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's too bad you have to handle him, but you have to intervene or he's going to die.

Set up a small indoor habitat with about 3" of substrate, a heat light, a CHE for night heat, a hiding place, a feeding tile and a plant saucer with water. Buy some Gerber strained carrots, four or five jars will probably be enough.

Every day add a half a jar of baby food into a small bowl with sides tall enough the turtle can't get out. You want a small footprint so you don't have to use the whole jar of baby food. Add enough warm water to come up to the middle of the turtle's sides. Stir it up and add the turtle. Leave him in the water for at least a half hour, and longer is even better. If the habitat you set up is big enough to fit the soaking bowl, setting the bowl back inside there will help keep the turtle warm.

You should see an improvement in the puffy, closed eyes in three days. Box turtles' eyes swell mainly due to vitamin A deficiency. Your wild turtle probably woke up sooner than it was warm enough for him to find food, so he hasn't been eating. No eating means vitamin A deficiency.

When he's well enough to go back outside, set out some food for him to give him a good head start.

Lliriel

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's too bad you have to handle him, but you have to intervene or he's going to die.

Set up a small indoor habitat with about 3" of substrate, a heat light, a CHE for night heat, a hiding place, a feeding tile and a plant saucer with water. Buy some Gerber strained carrots, four or five jars will probably be enough.

Every day add a half a jar of baby food into a small bowl with sides tall enough the turtle can't get out. You want a small footprint so you don't have to use the whole jar of baby food. Add enough warm water to come up to the middle of the turtle's sides. Stir it up and add the turtle. Leave him in the water for at least a half hour, and longer is even better. If the habitat you set up is big enough to fit the soaking bowl, setting the bowl back inside there will help keep the turtle warm.

You should see an improvement in the puffy, closed eyes in three days. Box turtles' eyes swell mainly due to vitamin A deficiency. Your wild turtle probably woke up sooner than it was warm enough for him to find food, so he hasn't been eating. No eating means vitamin A deficiency.

When he's well enough to go back outside, set out some food for him to give him a good head start.

Thank you so much <3 think once he gets better im going to build him a nice cozy outdoor home

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
box turtles are usually very susceptible to vitamin A deficiencies. they tend to eat a higher protein diet which leads to that.