My first Tortoise - need information on care. Still trying to navigate this site.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Susan!

The screen you have your light sitting on filters out quite a bit of the beneficial UVB rays.

I know the pet store probably was feeding what I call "Fruity Pebbles," but really, your new little Russian tortoise should be fed fresh greens. Here's a good care sheet for you:

http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your Russian also needs a larger enclosure, 4x8 as they roam and cover lots of ground in the wild. He also needs a bigger water dish, one he can fit into but with low sides, like a clay saucer used for under flower pots

Susan Montenegro

Welcome to the Forum, Susan!

The screen you have your light sitting on filters out quite a bit of the beneficial UVB rays.

I know the pet store probably was feeding what I call "Fruity Pebbles," but really, your new little Russian tortoise should be fed fresh greens. Here's a good care sheet for you:

http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm
Hello and Welcome. Your Russian also needs a larger enclosure, 4x8 as they roam and cover lots of ground in the wild. He also needs a bigger water dish, one he can fit into but with low sides, like a clay saucer used for under flower pots
My house is small but I have a spot that is 4 x 2, and he can roam the house too. How high do the sides need to be? The space I am going to use is a counter with clearance of 18 inches.could he escape that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My house is small but I have a spot that is 4 x 2, and he can roam the house too. How high do the sides need to be? The space I am going to use is a counter with clearance of 18 inches.could he escape that?
Roaming the floor is not a proper place for a tortoise. It's dangerous and cold. We have seen too many accidents from tortoises roaming the floor. Build a two level enclosure. He needs more room. The clay saucers have low sides. Get one that is bigger then your tort.