My dogs chew the tortoise poop!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Don't know about you, Barb, but every time I go into the tortoise yard, there is new poop! And lots! My dog goes with me as all the tortoise way outweighs him - the largest by 5 times!

Not only that - want to see your tortoises go crazy - let them find some dog poop you didn't know was there! I believe that is an important part of their diet in the wild - animal poop!
Love the "poo topics"!!! Lots of poo comes from lots of fiber in their diet. I still don't like to think about any of my pets eating any poo at all!!! I kiss my cats and dogs....

RussianVT

Burlington, vt
Just to clarify about Pinworms:
Humans get Pinworms from other Humans
Rabbits get Pinworms and give it to other rabbits
Tortoises get Pinworms and give it to other Tortoises.
Dogs and cats do not get Pinworms. So if you are taking your child to the Pediatrician and the child has Pinworms, inevitably the MD will blame the dog. MD's get about 2 weeks of Parasitology and that explains their lack of knowledge in regard to parasites. We had 2 semesters in comparison.
Can a human toddler get pinworms from a tortoise? We're trying to treat our Russian tortoise for pinworms because my husband is concerned that our daughter will contract them. I'm less concerned because we always wash hands after handling the tortoise, and lots of kids get pinworms at some point in childhood anyway. Any advice?

Oldbattleaxe

5 Year Member
South South Texas,
I asked my vet (who is also one of my reptile vets) about the possible problem and he said he wouldn't worry at all. He said reptile parasites aren't transmissible to dogs. Reptile to mammal etc.

About 12 years ago, my vet said the same thing about my sulcata and dwarf goats.

Sobergrower

Phoenix
A lot of dogs do that. There is a possibility of the dogs picking up intestinal parasites if your tortoise is carrying and shedding them in that particular turd. I don't think it is all that much of a risk to your dog in most cases. In all my years, I have not heard of a dog getting sick from eating tortoise poop.
You’re awesome Tom. Every time I have a question, I research it, and it’s always you that has the answer here 🤗🤗💕💕🙏🙏 thank you for your service to these questions!!