My Best Night Box Design Yet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We mounted a tube type UVB at one end in our night house for just that reason (the tortoises can't always go outside).

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I'm standing at Walmart looking for the oil filled radiator and it's huge! @Tom can you give me specs on yours?
This one is 28" high and I know you said you were going to make your boxes 2' tall from now on so it makes me think this one is too big

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom, are there any changes that can be made to the construction of this house that will make it lighter (for moving purposes) but won't affect the effectiveness?
I need to build a larger heated house for my leopard (the current one is 2x4) but my husband frowning. He thinks this house is heavy enough and bigger = heavier!

I don't think there is anything I can change to make it lighter. Am I right? Moving the house with the lid detached is about the only thing I can think of to make moving, easier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't buy quarter inch plywood anymore, but you can still get it in paneling. If you used paneling (quarter inch) and paint it to protect it from the humidity, it would make it a lot lighter. The rigid foam weighs practically nothing, and I don't think using a thinner plywood would change how cool or warm it is inside.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Reactions: JLM

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm standing at Walmart looking for the oil filled radiator and it's huge! @Tom can you give me specs on yours?
This one is 28" high and I know you said you were going to make your boxes 2' tall from now on so it makes me think this one is too big

Yeah… What Joe said. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, are there any changes that can be made to the construction of this house that will make it lighter (for moving purposes) but won't affect the effectiveness?
I need to build a larger heated house for my leopard (the current one is 2x4) but my husband frowning. He thinks this house is heavy enough and bigger = heavier!

I don't think there is anything I can change to make it lighter. Am I right? Moving the house with the lid detached is about the only thing I can think of to make moving, easier.

Weight has been an issue for me too, so I've been messing with this in the last few builds, including the current one. Here is what I've come up with:
1. I use 11/32 plywood all around now instead of the older 15/32 or thicker stuff that I used to use. The insulation really does the job, so the thinner plywood still works well.
2. In the lid, I use 2x2s for framing instead of 2x4s.
3. Where ever it makes sense, I use 2x2s or 2x3s in the main structure of the box instead of 2x4s. This saves weight and money too.
4. Some 2x4s are "greener" and wetter, and these weigh literally 2 or 3 times as much as the drier lighter weight ones. I go through the stack and pick out the light weight 2x4s and 2x3s. This saves pounds for EACH 2x4 in some cases, but it costs you some time to be picky when going through the stacks.

This is what I'm doing for 4x8' boxes, so it will be even lighter on a 4x4. I'm able to carry my half of a 4x8 box by myself when using these techniques. I remove the lids when transporting.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You can't buy quarter inch plywood anymore, but you can still get it in paneling. If you used paneling (quarter inch) and paint it to protect it from the humidity, it would make it a lot lighter. The rigid foam weighs practically nothing, and I don't think using a thinner plywood would change how cool or warm it is inside.
1/4 inch plywood is called Luan (or lauan) today, it even comes 1/8 inch thick. mostly used on flooring projects. I built a 3x5 ft house for the female sulcatas using luan on the inside and outside walls.After a year some minor repair was needed on the inside corners due to digging.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks! You use this specific brand? Review over time?
I use this brand, this model. It's been in use for 4 years with no problem. I have it connected to a Zilla 1000W thermostat that I have used for 6 years with no problems. If the night box is sealed and insulated the way Tom suggest the heater runs for only a few minutes at a time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use this brand, this model. It's been in use for 4 years with no problem. I have it connected to a Zilla 1000W thermostat that I have used for 6 years with no problems. If the night box is sealed and insulated the way Tom suggest the heater runs for only a few minutes at a time.

Same story here. I'm running three of them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

and mine is going on 3 years!

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
We mounted a tube type UVB at one end in our night house for just that reason (the tortoises can't always go outside).
What bulb/holder do you recommend? I've been looking at reptisun 5 tube but not happy with holder choices. Would love your experience

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine came with the reflector. I don't have the boxes anymore, but I ordered them online, probably through Amazon. I'll go there and see if I can find it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seems like I've only ordered the bulbs from Amazon (looking at my history). My tortoise partner, @Will bought me the first 4 fixtures and they came with reflectors. This is an example of the reflector, and I'm pretty sure that's the brand, however, the unit in this link doesn't say anything about UVB:

https://www.nwgsupply.com/products/...Cn_A0bdOtwp-f-rNkKtpq4DoHqwwik0M3kaAkRk8P8HAQ

I'm completely satisfied with the reflectors. They're very shiny chrome and really reflect the light well.

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
IMG_0574[2402]_Ink_LI.jpg Here it is. I think my son did a great job. The box is something he got at work, he is an insulator. It is some sort of galvanized ductwork and sure cut some work out. 3x6x21" I was going for 4x8 but considering the convenience its perfect. He said I got the wrong kind of insulation but with the oil heater it will hold at least 80* easily. I put the UVB on the lid and with a timer during the day. I haven't opened the drop down door yet as we're in the depths of winter here in Pleasant Hill Missouri. I put a brick in next to the heater because she kept knocking it over and hitting the on off switch. Bad Rover Land Rover.

yetIMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

Nicholas Bova

This is awesome, will defianetly be building this hopefully next weekend for my sully. time to get it outside(dont know the sex yet lol)

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
Here is my winter box. It is made of a galvanized airconditioning box. Lined it with insulation then plywood.. The top is lined plywood with a uvb light on a timer. The oil radiator heat keeps it toasty and even has decent humidity. We also cut a drop down door but havent used it as it is too cold out.
This is awesome, will defianetly be building this hopefully next weekend for my sully. time to get it outside(dont know the sex yet lol)
Good luck!