my baby sulcata's shell is soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
hello my baby sulcata's shell is starting to get soft and I dont know what to do about it. I've been feeding him and soaking him and hes started eating his cuttlebone....is there something I missed??? please help I want to make sure by sulcata grows big and strong.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Calcium (cuttle bone) does not work without UVB or sunlight. Your tortoise is ill and will need a vet visit most likely.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
yes he has a brand new $40 uvb bulb and i put him in direct sunlight for about a half hour a day. hes acting normal and everything but i picked him up this morning and his shell was a little soft and i dnt have money to take him to a vet D: im worried

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
You have to worry when their shells go soft, it is usually a sign of MBD , since he is getting calcium and sunshine, something must be missing. It is nearly impossible to treat without a vet's help, but lots of calcium and lots of sunshine is really the only thing that will work,.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
For me my vet charges 40 for a visit and then it goes from their depending on what is needed, he will most likely prescribe liquid calcium.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Well sorry to say but if you have only had him 4 days then this problem started with who ever had him before, the breeder or pet store. All I can suggest is call a vet and get a price quote and then go from there, you could also ask about a payment plan of some type, most vets are willing to work with people on things like this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd be talking to the seller. Four days is not enough for you to have caused this problem. Is the shell soft like the lid of a plastic butter tub, or is it soft like a sponge? The shell on a baby is a bit more pliable than on an older one, due to the thinness and the fact the it doesn't full calcify for a few years.

How was the tortoise housed before you got it. Substrate, soaking, sunshine or UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.