My Aldabra from china

Show

5 Year Member
hello,everyone,I am from China and I have had serveal tortoises in my balcony for more than one year.Since I have feeded those Aldabra, I found strong interests and I wish to keep my Aldabra high and round, without pyramiding.
Woukd you like to share your experiense? In my city, there is few platform for tortoises, the most widely way to communicate and understand about tortoises is to through internet.
At the moment, I am feeding thoese Aldabra with vegetables and MAZURI.Below I will show my Aldabra and the feeding environment.

202920c5tgzv3dgowogzwo.jpg.thumb.jpg

202929ygvzgserrmpuvuxq.jpg.thumb.jpg

202938te8jeoo0004jlv8v.jpg.thumb.jpg

202945t0skn0r0op0vn1wv.jpg.thumb.jpg

202949gywvt0v640zs66hf.jpg.thumb.jpg

202955nyx2ya22ydtfhzza.jpg.thumb.jpg

203003j503bpkkai6a8p05.jpg.thumb.jpg

143805ocaolwle5eu99a9w.jpg.thumb.jpg

143810y53wcgff13vogft2.jpg.thumb.jpg

143815w6b7ibha1z472z9e.jpg.thumb.jpg

143821ig5tuxb5uz6gz6b0.jpg.thumb.jpg

143826kmzp0xzafmrk34qw.jpg.thumb.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I know you have the best intentions, however, I really feel I must speak my mind about Aldabran tortoises living in apartments. These giant tortoises suffer from bone maladies when they don't get enough exercise. In the wild they do a lot of wandering, walking for miles searching for food. When they are kept on a balcony and are not allowed to wander and exercise their muscles and legs, they get sick, sometimes not able to lift their shells off the ground to walk.

Your tortoises are beautiful. I only hope they stay that way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. They are very nice looking. I agree with Yvonne. There has been some mention in the past about this. Also the tile flooring is not a good substrate for them to be always walking on. Too slippery which can also cause walking problems. Do you have a yard you can at least put them I for the day hours?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
welcome and beautiful torts it must be tough raising them in china i can't remember where are off hand but someone said tortoises all species shapes and sizes are illegal in china?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, I agree with my fellow members regarding the lack of exercise, very important for proper growth and development at many levels. Thank you for the pictures and please feel free to interact further, we all share your passion!

I must add that i have never seen a double nuchal scute before on an aldabra tortoise. You have a special unique one there!

202955nyx2ya22ydtfhzza.jpg.thumb 2.jpg

Last edited:

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Hope you have somewhere to put them when they get huge, but you have some very healthy torts.

ben awes

5 Year Member
http://www.aldabra.cn/data/attachment/forum/201405/25/143815w6b7ibha1z472z9e.jpg.thumb.jpg

Great looking torts - I am not one to be critical because I am trying to raise an aldabra in a northern climate. Very few of us have enough space for our Aldabras to walk miles a day! I am concerned about my own aldabra's exercise all the time. At a young age I think it's possible to provide an environment that has enough variety to provide interest and excercise - when they get big? that's the challenge. You've got some great looking torts - good luck!

Can someone explain what the main contraption is? does it just provide heat? or does it mist as well? does the floor heat up? are those radiant heaters along the front? misters?

Thanks, Ben

sonykurniawan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I believe there are many aldabra keepers dont really have that space when their aldabras grow big.. So sad

Mini

5 Year Member
Friendswood
Beautiful torts, but your patio will be too small 3 years from now. Plan on their future home some place else.