My 8 month old red footed tortoise may be gaining weight too quickly

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
My eight month old red footed tortoise has been recovering from a respiratory infection that occurred at the end of May. He wasn't eating well for a while but his appetite gradually picked up over the last couple months. in the last month he had been gaining about 4 grams of weight a week. I weighed him today and he has gained 9 grams of weight in a week. Is that too much? I feed him daily a mixture of about 70% greens 20% vegetables and 10% fruit. He picks and chooses what he wants and I leave the food in there for the day. He is also getting some dried high quality grain free dog food once a week.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I would ease up on the dog food. Every 3-4 weeks. All that protein is probably the trigger to rapid growth. I'd also try and get it a bit more humid too. Gaining weight after a RI is good though.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I'm just glad he's starting to eat again. I will cut back on the dog food.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I just noticed that you're in north Texas. I live in Fort Worth. Nice to talk to a local.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Thanks zeropilot. You helped me out when he was sick and I thought I'd lose him. Now I have the opposite issue.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

How about posting pics of your tortoise as well as its enclosure?